Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: what is your standard cooking oil?

Administrator
    Grapeseed.

Older and wider..

Interesting, all of the different responses here.

Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

For me it is mainly extra virgin olive oil for everything that does not require high heat. I was lucky to find this one a few months ago.

It is absolutely amazing and by far the best olive oil I have ever tasted. No worries that it would be fake, you can taste it immediately. In generally I grew the taste for south Italian EVOO and don't really like the bitter varieties you get from elsewhere.

For anything high heat I always use refined sunflower oil.

In my country it is also very common to use cold pressed pumpkin oil to season salads. Not much other use for this oil except to put a bit into pumpkin soup when you serve it or spice an ice cream with it. This year I also got a few bottles of unrefined sunflower oil. After reading this thread I was checking smoking point of oils and I see this one has only 107C so no use for cooking. But is sure smells amazing, totally different oil than its refined variety.

Quote Originally Posted by krx927 View Post
    For me it is mainly extra virgin olive oil for everything that does not require high heat. I was lucky to find this one a few months ago.

It is absolutely amazing and by far the best olive oil I have ever tasted. No worries that it would be fake, you can taste it immediately. In generally I grew the taste for south Italian EVOO and don't really like the bitter varieties you get from elsewhere.

For anything high heat I always use refined sunflower oil.

In my country it is also very common to use cold pressed pumpkin oil to season salads. Not much other use for this oil except to put a bit into pumpkin soup when you serve it or spice an ice cream with it. This year I also got a few bottles of unrefined sunflower oil. After reading this thread I was checking smoking point of oils and I see this one has only 107C so no use for cooking. But is sure smells amazing, totally different oil than its refined variety.
    I used, just like you, to use sunflower for high heat, only to recently realise it is a very poor choice.

Do have a look at the quoted link for info