Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is your standard cooking oil?

what is your standard cooking oil?

i'm a home cook. no pro.

never really thought much about cooking oil until yesterday. we have been using coconut and grapeseed oil, until we ran out and i bought a bottle of canola oil. hmm..wife asked me,,"what is a canola?"

i googled it. and it brought me to reading about rapeseed and all about oils.

what do you use? i think the coconut oil is good and kinda fun to use, but it makes all my food smell like the carribean.

Avocado oil lately

We use a lot of olive oil, some canola and some corn oil for cooking. For high-heat cooking it is typically canola. We have only done real deep frying a couple of times, and used peanut oil for that.

Various other oils get used here and there, such as for some salad dressings (i.e., walnut oil, grapeseed oil, etc.)

Rice oil for mayonnaise (because of its neutral taste) and for anything that requires very high temps, olive oil for the rest.

What David said;

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Various other oils get used here and there, such as for some salad dressings (i.e., walnut oil, grapeseed oil, etc.)
    I also use Virgin Olive Oil (generally been flavored along the way with various items) for low temp poaching of fish.

Stovetop use is either Avocado & Canola (depends on how high it is likely to go) ... probably 50/50 use of either though ...

Mix 3 parts canola, 1 part extra virgin olive

Depends on what I cooking. Given how much Asian I fix, mostly peanut oil. But if I'm doing any kind of Italian it is going to be olive oil.

Grapeseed previously, but I've been using a lot of mustard oil lately. So grapeseed where I want a neutral oil, and mustard where the strong flavour works.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    i'm a home cook. no pro.

never really thought much about cooking oil until yesterday. we have been using coconut and grapeseed oil, until we ran out and i bought a bottle of canola oil. hmm..wife asked me,,"what is a canola?"

i googled it. and it brought me to reading about rapeseed and all about oils.

what do you use? i think the coconut oil is good and kinda fun to use, but it makes all my food smell like the carribean.
    I'm largely olive or peanut for deep frying.

Speaking of canola, I live in the prairies of Canada and our landscape doesn't get much prettier than when the canola and flax is in full bloom. There are a few areas near me where you can drive for quite a long time without seeing anything but fields of bright yellow, at the right time of the year.

For cooking fat, 99% of the time I use duck fat.

But when I use oil, it's mainly olive oil in combination with butter. I only really ever use neutral oil for deep frying and then it's either rapeseed or sunflower.

Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.