Help me replace my MAC (questionaire included

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffhr

Reaction score

Finland

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? chef/Gyuotto

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? No real preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm-270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 300€

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing veggies/chopping meat, mincing and dicing, trimming meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Currently have an assortment of Mac's main 1 I am not happy with is my DA BK-200 (8in damascuss chef knife) the blade does not retain an edge that great for the price and the blade form is not to my liking Id prefer a straighter blade.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Mainly Hammer, however pinch as well depending on tasks.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push and chop with a dash of slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I want something that looks good, does not need to be damascus , however something else then just a plain shinny SS blade. Needs to retain an edge, I despise having to sharpen a knife every other week even when minimal house use is done. A flatter blade and more lenght.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Good looks, I find many different finishes.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? No complainst with any of these other then edge retention and blade shape beeing quite rounded , if it was a 240-270mm Im sure the rounded tup would be acceptable.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Good food release would be a plus

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? The knife really might get only about 1hr a week with the exceptional odd week whereas it will get 1.5 so if consider at least 10hrs in between sharpening decent(could be totally off grid here) but id rather not have to sharpen more then once a month.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes and no, I do and can, however I do send them off to a professional every now and then.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Already have a 200/800/1000/3000/5000 stone, need to get a flattening stone in the future.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I have looked at the Tojiro shippu black line, however it seems I cant really find any good reviews, so somewhat weary.

I understand alot of people on this forum swear by watanabe knives, however with customs in finland beeing incredibly painfull (24% minimum and can extend to 36% on knives) id rather not import from Japan and my budget doesnt really allow it.

Any links to knives arround the world are fine as I can try and source them from the EU, however makers that dont wholesale will probably be out of the question, unless price is well below.

I have seen a listing (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...o-with-some-character!-Questionnaire-included), however nothing really references to things I have found here in EU.

Thanks

Toyoma...basically a Watanabe but available from a local (to you) source...and a trusted vendor here. Site is japanesenaturalstones.com

JCK seems to have a good reputation for quickly and cheaply shipping internationally. Website is not the easiest to navigate but there are several interesting knives there that would meet your requirements.

Welcome a board from a fellow Finn!

Toyoma would probably fit, I have not used either, but most reviews say they're as similar as it gets and it would be available at JNS.
...but waay over budget though.

Since you want it to be aesthetically interesting, most of what comes to mind seem to be OOS, but check out the Kurosaki hammer finished R2 gyuto. That's a looker IMO. It's edge retention due to the R2 steel should be very very good and it's readily available in the neighbourhood at Cleancut.se. The Hiroshi Kato Damascus could also interest you. I believe that's essentially the same knife as Masakage Kumo at the Cutting edge knives in UK. (the Kumo line is made by Hiroshi Kato for Masakage).

I ordered some weeks a go the Syousin Suminigashi from K&S and it came thru with out a hitch. Definitely worth a look too (though OOS ATM).
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-suminagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-240mm-by-shiro-kamo/

A very efficient performance gyuto would be the Itinomonn kasumi stainLess, but it might be aesthetically mundane to you and it's OOS too. I replaced my MAC with this.
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto/
It has a very good profile and grind.

Thank you all for the replies! Was not aware of JNS, definetly taking interest in them :D, Yeah the Toyoma are out of budget.

Ohh I def like that r2gyuto, wow looks awesome!

Only ordered knives once from NA and it was from knivewear.com (Im canadian by birth and knew of this site) and well customs raped me an additional 170€ on a 250ishh€ purchase, since then I avoid it.

I had looked at the Masakage Kumo, but out of budget and SO is not willing to budge.

I dont mind a middle weight knife lets say 260-270g at most but no lesss then 190-200g.

@java any other european stores you are aware of that stock good knifes?

Thanks

Would you prefer a lighter-weigh knife or something a bit more substantial?

+1 to this Qn (should it be more prominent on the questionnaire?)

The choice is often between a thin knife (laser) which glides through tall, hard food as though it was jelly but might ge caught up a little in wet food (potato, onion, zucchini, etc) vs a thicker knife (workhorse) which needs a little more force in tall hard food, but demolishes piles of wet food quickly.

Many knives are somewhere in between (middleweight). It's often kind of a trade off between the two.

Some knives which are not well ground don't do either well. The extreme example here is many Western knives.

Thank you all for the replies! Was not aware of JNS, definetly taking interest in them :D, Yeah the Toyoma are out of budget.

Ohh I def like that r2gyuto, wow looks awesome!

Only ordered knives once from NA and it was from knivewear.com (Im canadian by birth and knew of this site) and well customs raped me an additional 170€ on a 250ishh€ purchase, since then I avoid it.

I had looked at the Masakage Kumo, but out of budget and SO is not willing to budge.

I dont mind a middle weight knife lets say 260-270g at most but no lesss then 190-200g.

@java any other european stores you are aware of that stock good knifes?

Thanks

You can find the Masakage Kumo at Cleancut under Hiroshi Kato and it's in your budget.

Couple EU vendors:
japan-messer-shop.de
knivesandtools.com
japanmessen.nl

Thank you all for the links and suggestions looking very hard at the Shiro Kamo and the kurosaki R2 both beautifull and within my budget, just need to read up more on them and perhaps a quick trip to sweden(closest shop that stocks them) to see how they feel but probably will just order online...

I think you would be well served with an Intinomonn. If you can sit on your hands a little bit, Maxim (JNS) has a "gathering" every spring where all manner of knives, stones and knifenuts get together for a play weekend.

Thank you for the info, will keep that in mind!

Check if any of the vendors that interest you, has the SRS-15 Akifusa (come from some other (re)brand (?) as well, but don't remember the name),
You will rarely have to sharpen and from photos and comments looks a little thick in a nice way over the edge, which indicates it must have good food release

Check if any of the vendors that interest you, has the SRS-15 Akifusa (come from some other (re)brand (?) as well, but don't remember the name),
You will rarely have to sharpen and from photos and comments looks a little thick in a nice way over the edge, which indicates it must have good food release

Food release on Akifusa is good for a knife this thin IMO. It performs as though quite thin behind the edge but with acceptable food release. Thin but not qiute laser thin. Definitely not a workhorse though.

I believe it also goes by the names Ikeda and Harayuki and maybe others.

Back