Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sigma power 120

sigma power 120

I just received this stone from Stu (Tools From Japan) and thought I'd make mention of it here. This stone cuts FAST! It even comes with a warning about how much damage it can do...it rips steel away! Doesn't really dish so much but will glaze...in fact it comes with a few bottles of Silicon Carbide (60 and 120 grit) just for cleaning the stone...basically it takes a small bit of maintenance but seems well worth it as long as you keep the stone from glazing...anyway, with shipping from Japan I believe I paid right at $20...and Stu got it to me in about three weeks (pretty remarkable as it was during the Christmas rush and he's notoriously slow to ship). For those who do any significant thinning or just want to knock it out quick this may be something you'd enjoy. I don't believe diamonds could outperform this stone, especially for the cost. FWIW, I will be following this with either a 220 pink brick or 320 cerax depending on which cleans up the scratches better and really wouldn't want to go straight to a 1k'ish from here without at least another stone or some sandpaper to ease the scratching.

Stone not recommended for faint of heart or new sharpeners because it removes so much metal so fast.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Nice! Always glad to read and learn more about the Sigma Power stones. Super nice price too. What level of speed difference exists between this 120 and something like a 220 pink brick?

Thanks for the review... I recieved a japan made cleaver for christmas the feels great but is just a tad thick so was thinking of doing some thinning but didnt want to waste my pink brick on it. And spend $100AUD+ on an atoma. So this might do the trick.

How thirsty is it?

If suggest that it's much quicker than the 220 pink brick. It's also quite a bit more thirsty...and again will load like crazy if you don't follow the directions for cleaning with the SC.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Thanks for the write-up chinacats. Sounds too useful to ignore and too cheap to resist. I want one. I even need one. Damn! I bought one.
    Veni, legi, emi.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

I'm always on the lookout for fast cutting yet slow wearing extra coarse stones....because..... they don't exist. LOL

So yeah I need to try this one. Thanks for the tip Jim!

sigma power 120

Lee Valley sells these stones but for some reason they only carry as low as 240 . Too bad because at that price it'd be nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by aboynamedsuita View Post
    Lee Valley sells these stones but for some reason they only carry as low as 240 . Too bad because at that price it'd be nice to have.
    CAD$29 delivered to your door. Ain't gonna break the bank.