Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on using 210mm and under knives for prep

Thoughts on using 210mm and under knives for prep

Most days I really need to crush through a lot of prep and mostly grab a 270 and sometimes a 240 but on lighter days I enjoy using shorter gyutos. I have a fairly nice quiver to draw from because I am more apt to enjoy my job due to the variety of knives I own. I know that it is more practical and expedient to use longer knives but I really enjoy getting out a nice 210. They feel so small and nimble and are fun to see how capable they are. Heck, sometimes I will even stick with a 150 petty to do a lot of prep with. I think this has really helped improve my skills with these smaller knives.

Anyone else grab for shorter knives from time to time?

Cheers,
    rj

I own 210mm gyutos from time to time but honestly it's out of necessity as a cramped work environment demands it. I never understood the 210mm suji/line knife craze either(and I tried). So far, I tend to favor a variety of "240mm" gyutos for most of my work, thought the actual blade length can vary from 230-250mm. If I am going to use a 210mm Gyuto I need it to be a thin blade like wakui/kochi/ginga/kagekiyo etc etc...smaller knife better at detail/finesse stuff. Bigger knife for more power/strength.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I own 210mm gyutos from time to time but honestly it's out of necessity as a cramped work environment demands it. I never understood the 210mm suji/line knife craze either(and I tried). So far, I tend to favor a variety of "240mm" gyutos for most of my work, thought the actual blade length can vary from 230-250mm. If I am going to use a 210mm Gyuto I need it to be a thin blade like wakui/kochi/ginga/kagekiyo etc etc...smaller knife better at detail/finesse stuff. Bigger knife for more power/strength.
    Interesting. I don't own very many 240s; I mostly go for 270s because 240s feel too similar to a 270 and aren't as potent as a 270. I think my enjoyment comes mostly from the vast difference in feeling when using a drastically smaller knife. I forces me to really focus on technique rather than the, as you say, power/strength of a larger heavier knife. Variety helps to keep me interested in largely mundane/rote tasks.

BTW- I too tried a few 210 pettys but a gyuto is so much more usable.

Cheers,
    rj

Kind of depends on the task for me. I've had a few 210 gyutos but wasn't a fan.

I have a 210 petty I use for a lot of things though. I reach for it 9 times out of 10 over my 150 petty.

I don't consider it a replacement for a gyuto though. It just doesn't give enough knuckle clearance.

I have tried a few 210s and find the lack of length doesn't allow for a useable flat spot. Infact I prefer my 240s to run long, 250-255mm, for this exact reason. If I had a smaller kitchen/board my views might change.

I never enjoy using a 210, only do so out of necessity.

Administrator
    I like a 210 at home where I have time to enjoy a knife more.

At work it's making big stuff into little stuff right damn now. 240 - 270 is my go to.
    Older and wider..

For me the length of a knife is determined by ingredient and quantity of said ingredient. Pro cooks (which I'm not) usually work with much larger qualities. If I'm mincing a shallot or single onion, I'm going for a 210 or smaller, maybe 165 bunka... but I might grab a 150 Toyama petty or a 180 Kato WH petty for a couple of cloves of garlic. If I'm processing say a cabbage, I'll grab the DT ITK 240. One I will say is that I prefer the gyuto profile.

In gyuto lengths I have:
    150 Toyama
    170 Dalman
    174 Carter
    180 Shig
    198 Kono
    205 Yusuke
    215 Shig
    215 Kato WH
    215 DT ITK
    228 Kono
    242 Kato WH
    250 DT ITK
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Well, it isn't too much of a surprise to me that I am a bit strange. This week I used a 206 standard Kato and a 210 Toyama for most tasks at work but did have to bring out a couple 270s when pushed. I suppose my philosophy could be summed up by:

“Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.” -William Cowper

Cheers,
    rj

Depends really. If you facing large amount of prep specially using knives. When I worked in production kitchen it happens a lot. 20kg potatos 20 watermelons etc. lol Maybe you need a large gyuto for main knife. But for mostly al cartel style or lot more multi task prep. 210-220will be main knife for me. In the end only thing is which one you could done your task faster. Lol