Dried green onion...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
In my local Japanese food aisle (they recently started carrying new kare!) They have dried green onion. Not like a powder but almost like you would slice to put on rice or something (roughly 2-3mm slices if my memory serves), dried out obviously, in a little plastic package.

Anyone tried this? My one issue with gronions is that they always turn to doody within a few days. Always waste...

I'm going to try these unless someone stops me

"My one issue with gronions is that they always turn to doody"

Yeah... store them in a fridge and they get limp, store them on the shelf and they get dry :) I found slicing the greens with whatever is most freshly sharpened and storing them loosely in something airtight in a frost-free corner of the fridge is among the better compromises...

Here's a little secret about storing fresh herbs.

Wash and remove bands/tags... Spin dry
Stand them upright and soak their feet in a container with about 1inch or so of filtered water
Put the plastic bag back over the top of the herb.

the idea is to create a vase of herbs in the refrigerator. Cilantro will keep for three week. Green onions a month. Parsley over a month.

They not only last, but stay fresh as the day you bought them.

You have a refrigerator large enough to stand a vase in without risking a knock-over and flood when digging for something else - lucky you :)

@mucho
nice tip I usually just wash, spin and then kind of let them dry on the counter for a while and then tie them the grocery bag they came in, but cilantro and green onions do no stand a chance of not being used within the week.

You have a refrigerator large enough to stand a vase in without risking a knock-over and flood when digging for something else - lucky you :)

i could literally kill for some more fridge space.

Oops TJ I always go to lucky market on McPhillips they have a dedicated aisle. Some decent things, lots of dry soba udon. About 4 different miso (but they are in a refridgerated section on far left hand side of store)... They have lots of Japanese sesame oil too, but it's in the oils aisle. Grab some rhee chun white rice if you see it. Good deal! For whatever reason it's in the Japanese aisle lol (Korean rice from california but I really like it)... They don't have any Japanese rice there though, that I've seen anyway.

And don't miss the kimchi and gochujang aisle. Immediately prior to the bakery which is immediately prior to the miso/refridgerated stuff.

And also! If you look hard you can find fresh chinese noodles. Great price! Portion and freeze if necessary. They're in the same area as the bakery, but refridgerated.

Cheeeeers

I will try the water thing next time. But I have the dehydrated gronions in my possession now so I'll post some pics of those shortly .... Might try reinvigorating them with a little water, see what happens. Or maybe grind them up as a condiment :p

Oops TJ I always go to lucky market on McPhillips they have a dedicated aisle. Some decent things, lots of dry soba udon. About 4 different miso (but they are in a refridgerated section on far left hand side of store)... They have lots of Japanese sesame oil too, but it's in the oils aisle. Grab some rhee chun white rice if you see it. Good deal! For whatever reason it's in the Japanese aisle lol (Korean rice from california but I really like it)... They don't have any Japanese rice there though, that I've seen anyway.

And don't miss the kimchi and gochujang aisle. Immediately prior to the bakery which is immediately prior to the miso/refridgerated stuff.

And also! If you look hard you can find fresh chinese noodles. Great price! Portion and freeze if necessary. They're in the same area as the bakery, but refridgerated.

Cheeeeers

Cool thanks, I drive by there occasionally as my office is a few blocks to the north. I've been to Youngs on William however not the McPhillips one, but Luckys is closer so will have to check it out.

like the seaweed flakes we sprinkle on rice?

Yes. I tried soaking some last night I think they're intended to be eaten dry or mixed into a sauce or soup perhaps.

I kinda want to grind a bag up and use it as a seasoning, but actually the texture of the dehydrated gronions is pretty cool. Quote different from fresh but I'm not sure if Negi is a different variety from what we have in the West or what.

sometimes I grind my dry red onions (shallot things) in an electric coffee grinder, usually with cumin and black peppercorns which is my general base for most powder base seasonings.

Back