Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiritsukes, Masamoto, and the case of the wrong knife

I think you need to understand that it is of the same quality... except fit and finish is not something that is a measure of quality to japanese makers... you can get some very expensive J-knives with unrounded spine and choil because frankly their normal market doesn't care about it.

I still think the profiles are the same. Just camera angles playing tricks...

You have to make the call if you want to keep it or not, we can't help you on that, just point out some realities of this market (aka spine and choil rounding isn't always gonna happen). And remember, one can never have enough gyutos ;-).

If you decide to return it, then I would suggest filling in the questionare and high lighting the non-negotiable points (aka you want a double bevel kiritsuke as opposed to a k-tipped gyuto). If its out there someone on here has one or has tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by foody518 View Post
    Needs to also be a 240mm?
    Preferably. I don't have a lot of counter space and anything above that will get my into trouble.

I got a very flat k tip at tsukiji Masamoto when I was in Tokyo last September. It's monosteel but it's a 300 mm, too big for me to use everyday but I bought it anyway because it looked so cool

Curious if the Gesshin Ginga could be made with a K-tip? Just a thought but I know Jon has been able to do many things in the past...certainly wouldn't hurt to ask...would be the same steel as the KS (mono white 2) but the fit and finish would be very good.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by zapatodefuego View Post
    The Souysin Sakura is a very good looking knife! Do you have any idea if it is double bevel? The product description doesn't say and I can't find pictures of both sides of the knife. That knife sure is heavy though.
    It is double bevel. But its a wide bevel knife.. so it will typically be heavier and thicker at the spine. Haven't used one but from all reports it is exceptionally thin behind the edge.

It is on my list as my first wide bevel when I get around to getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Curious if the Gesshin Ginga could be made with a K-tip? Just a thought but I know Jon has been able to do many things in the past...certainly wouldn't hurt to ask...would be the same steel as the KS (mono white 2) but the fit and finish would be very good.
    Probably. Just a question of wait time I guess. Pretty sure he has had honyaki ginga's in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    It is double bevel. But its a wide bevel knife.. so it will typically be heavier and thicker at the spine. Haven't used one but from all reports it is exceptionally thin behind the edge.

It is on my list as my first wide bevel when I get around to getting one.
    What exactly does a "wide bevel knife" mean? It's not a phrase I'm familiar with.

Had to scroll thru a few pics but found one.
    https://flic.kr/p/QV224w

Quote Originally Posted by zapatodefuego View Post
    Preferably. I don't have a lot of counter space and anything above that will get my into trouble.
    Try contacting Yoshihiro and see if someone there is willing to take and send you extra pics so you can assess profile of the specific knife and length you are looking at. They have a neat SLD core steel one. Some suminagashi carbon ones. None quite like the KS line though. I expect F&F to be quite good on these pricier lines

Administrator
    I had a Yoshi K tip for awhile, nice flat spot, felt like a 240mm Nakiri. Pretty too! 10% discount for forum members at EE.

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=94324

Older and wider..