Wanna critic my menu (three course first time boss let me do this)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
So work is slow and my boss is letting me do a menu, took almost two years but he finally kind of trusts me. So I tossed something together after work. Trying to do Alberta meets italian meets me.

Primo

Beetroot Cured BC Salmon with Heirloom Carrot, Lemon and Saffron Arancini, Italian Herbed Crust, Piccolo Verdi, Balsamico quindici e olio (sicilain olive oil, nice an spicy)

(Soave,Prosecco,Tavel) TBD unsure

Principale
Salt Crusted Beef Tenderloin, Soft Truffled Polenta with Pecorino and soppressata, Tomato Confit Spolgiato, Burro di Nocciola Beligium Endive Bruciato

Tomatos and endive cooked sous vide, mint,rosmary and basil on tomatoes, they will be peeled. Endive poached in buerre noisette and than hit with charcoal grill. Roast is sliced with pan drippings deglazed with veal stock

(Fontafredda Barolo 2011)
Could be Le tense Sassale Valtelina Supiore 2011

Really want a nebiollo grape

Dolce
Spiced Chocolate Cake, Candied Orange, Balsamic Angel Hair Garnish, Vanilla Bean Gelato

(Masi di Recioto 2011)

Any thoughts would be welcome. I'll be doing one run through on my vacation served to family before hand to make sure I didn't royally mess up.

Thanks,

Slayer

I will let others critique while I droll. Where do you work?:hungry:

Jasper, moving to Calgary in September for culinary, given the fact you like anime and knives, we could be friends lol

Also sorry for any typos, literally typed that up on a treadmill during my rest phase, some of the Italian terms may be wrong, hoping prezzio sees this hes the master of Italian cuisine, whatever wine we serve with the arancini and salmon I'll probably put in the risotto as well :spiteful: Tavel in Risotto, that would be a first for me.

Jasper, moving to Calgary in September for culinary, given the fact you like anime and knives, we could be friends lol
Right on! Although I've become much more a manga/manhwa/webtoon guy. If you want we can definitely chat when you come, I mean there are so many knives and manga/anime that we definitely have enough topics :dazed:
Ah, I'm only a home cook but I also LOVE food. Wouldn't dare to flaunt my meagre skill in front of a pro but would be more than happy to listen... or better yet try :tease:

Are you seriously considering ca¿

Don't go in Canada if you're making menus like this. You could probably teach ca at your local college... Seriously dude get a visa and a legit education. Unless you're just trying to network.

Menu looks good. Maybe a little wordy but my assumption is you won't be drafting the physical menu.

Seriously though, miss CA in Canada. The interprovincial standard here is seriously broken, the red seal doesn't carry much weight with anyone in a kitchen. May bump you up a buck or two but other than that...

Best of luck

Also I will point out that Alberta and Canada as a whole have no real identifiable cuisine. Much to my dismay. -_-

Peameal bacon, tortierre, poutine ... Hell the last two really can't even be considered Canadian. :wink:

How does bison pemmican rav sound? :razz: beurre noisette and chokeberry gastrique. Anyway I'll piss off now :razz::razz::razz:

Was thinking sait, work will pay for that and give me a job in Calgary, I don't need it but if I ever want CDP or sous most fine dining places want a red seal. Canada's issue is we are a smorgizbourg so good is a bit of a mess. Also we invented kraft diner with hot dogs and ketchup, worthy of three stars. I have a business degree now, my plan was work 2-3 years and than move into a large chain/hotel and do corporate, be the guy who tells the chefs what they can and can't do. Honestly if I could id just pay 10g for the paper, I'm looking at overseas but that's stupid pricey and would kill my knife budget.

man I had to keep re-reading your post I was like no way does he think we invented hotdogs or ketchup hehe

We didn't invent ketchup and hot dogs :( and no on to Canadian cuisine, I feel as though because of our multiculturalism we lack a culinary identity on a large scale, saying that, regional cuisines are quite diverse and offer some exceptional ideas, newfoundland being an example, or the praries, I know Ive made Saskatoon berry gastrique for moose before, looking back I could defiantly of done better, wonder if red ice wine would make a decent jus for a sweeter sauce..... I would kill for Canada to get a Noma/Attica style restaurant and use some of our more obscure and unexplored ingredients, I'd do it myself but am 10-15 years our from being chef-patron caliber in my mind. I have a few books on the topic including one the company that used to own Fairmont put out that has some amazing ideas in it, hopefully some day our chefs will stop wanted to play chef boyardie with crap Italian and explore our own native roots in a deep way.

New Nordic cuisine began as the result of a manifesto by a food activist... Whatever that is lol. We should talk!

Sounds delisous. Are you pickling the salmon like haring? Maybe something creamy spread or dollop on the plate somewhere? Maybe a creamy parsley whip? Or a soft cheese. Daddy likes cheese. Maybe adding cream can offset some of the vinegar and you can start with a sharper white, maybe a limey Vino Verde but I don't know if you want to accent the spice or mute it and if the wine would work at all. Would a dry brute cleanse the palate?

I dono but i really got a problem with the spice in the beginning. It is like eating something spicy for breakfast, i find spicyness is much better tolerated after a couple drinks. Maybe add it to the polenta? Are truffles necessary??? is it worth the cost? Do truffles taste better on beef then pasta? with a big classico or Nebiollo? I feel like this is mixing a kind of pre dinner sausage and cheese with dinner (tenderloin) . Could there just be Tenderloin with polenta plate with a classico served after a plate of Tomato Confit Spolgiato, Burro di Nocciola Beligium Endive Bruciato wrapped in Pecorino and soppressata held by a pick made of the rosemary stem, (or maybe cubed ontop like capers on a plate of sliced meat) with a drizzle of olive oil, which could contain the green ingredients of the salsa, lessening the amount of material on the plate. served with a Nebiollo.

I switched up the wines because in the start you seem like you wanted to keep the theme consistent in each paring rather then the wine contrasting.

What is balsamic angel hair garnish? I don't think you have time but if you can, roasted vermicelli gelato, maybe with a pistachio kind of sugar crumble (think of a pecan pie topping), toasted pecans ever so lightly carmalized in sugar, cooled, crushed, powdered. I do hate when sugar sticks to your teeth. Anyways, don't panic, I don't know what I'm talking about, just some suggestions. Like I said if it tastes good it tastes good and I have no idea if the things I listed would. Also i have no idea of the atmosphere or the environment and all those things called details.

Also coffee/espresso/digestif at the end

Also SCREW, well maybe not screw, the SV tomatos but that Tenderloin needs the SV

I have some thoughts. Obviously just based on reading … I’ve had many dishes where the description made skeptical (or worse) but the actual food won me over. So take with a grain of curing salt.

-I would lay off a lot of the balsamico. It’s become pretty rote, and usually isn’t very good. If you’re going to use it, use it deliberately, as a primary accent, and use the good stuff (aceto balsamico tradizionale).

-Agree that you probably don’t have to s.v. the tomatoes. The poached/grilled endives sound really interesting and I’d like to try.

-Some of the dishes have a lot of flavors going on. When you try this out on your family, I’d suggest being hyper critical and thinking about which ones are really contributing vs. muddying the waters.

-You’ve got two main ingredients that are standard fallback positions for unadventurous diners: salmon and tenderloin. I’d consider replacing one of them with something from a bit farther off the beaten path. How about replace the tenderloin with a tastier cut? You could make the dish more flavorful and save on food costs.

Let us know how it goes.

Back