Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 190 mm yo gyuto

Talking 190 mm yo gyuto

Finished my first gyuto this weekend. Woohooooooo

190 mm k-tip gyuto in 1084 carbon steel at about HRc 61-62, full convex grind with slight right handed bias. Handle is full tang with bocote and stabilized dyed maple burl, copper and black G10 spacers, and copper and mosaic pins. Pretty heavy at 7.8 ounces, a huge amount of that weight is from the full tang. I am kinda going for a rustic ghetto fabulous aesthetic... especially since it means getting away with leaving 50 grit grind marks on the blade, LOL.

Balance point right at the finger choil or notch. Just lucky, I guess... Although if making this knife for myself again, I probably wouldn't have done the notch because I usually choke up very high on my pinch grip with middle finger resting right against the choil. So the notch makes me grip even further up the blade.

Convex grind (slight right handed bias) to zero with the belt sander and sharpened on DMT XC diamond plate (220 grit), King 400, 1000/6000.

It came out sharp, f* me! First blood...

Full distal taper:

Choil pic, a bit distorted from the finger notch:

MOAR PICS! RWARRRRR

Current family photo, you can probably see the family resemblance:

Next up will probably be my first santoku, a gift for my old boss. I think I may settle into a pattern of one knife for me, one knife to gift. Having a lot of fun learning and trying to get better at this.

Looking nice!
    The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

Looks nice, the knife gives me a vibe of power. It's probably the rustic look.

Very nice

Cool knife. Way to go MB!
    "I'd better change my signature before I get myself into trouble..."

Well done, sir!
    Good food is essential, where knives are an integral part of the process.

Nice

1st gyuto? Ridiculous... in a very good way. Looks very good and the handle work really stands out. People posting their first knife making efforts on the forum make me think that even I could give it a go. Then reality hits and I remember my total lack of skills. Oh well, some of us have to buy knives to keep others producing them.

Well done!

Likelikelikelikelike...... But.......if I am really honest, I have to say the finish on the blade just doesn't do the handle justice. Rustic forged look, yes, deep residual scratches, not so much. That handle appears to me as full custom level, and then the blade finish just doesn't keep pace. Been buying some polishing stuff lately and been taking my 400 finished rehandled knives up to 1200 grit. The ones i haven't given away that is. Food release actually noticeably improved with it.