What's your favourite workhorse?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which workhorses do you like and why? Any price, any steel.

Not looking to buy a knife, just want to get an idea of who makes great workhorses and what is good about them.

Thanks.

First define workhorse... Are we just talking thick knives or are you referring to a knife that can handle most tasks without a problem... Or perhaps a knife that you would choose to get through a ton of prep?

I guess in part, the question was, inan oblique way, aimed at helping formulate this definition in my mind.
Most important for me is a knife with good food release that gets through prep quickly. Is this also the type of knife to handle most tasks well? I really don't know how important thickness is to this. I guess a certain amount of thickness is required to allow convexity for good food release? But if it's too thick behind the edge, it will not get through many ingredients quickly?

lets take a Heiji for example... Its a thicker knife at the spine, but is very thin behind the edge and is also very hard. So i would not use this for some of the harder tasks, but it does excel at food release. If I was going to have a ton of prep to get through I would not want a heavy knife, instead I would want a mid weight kinfe that was longer in length.

If you want to compare food release look at this thread (videos)

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/13910-Food-Release-Videos

My best, all around, handle almost everything well, good food release, rarely reach for another for lots of prep, comfortable to use, good edge retention knife is my Toyama 240 kasumi.

Out of the knives I own my Ealy 270 gyuto is my "workhorse" i have a feeling thw grind on this is slightly thicker at the edge than his usual grind... the knife will wedge in denser product, crack thick cut carrots... but it gets razor sharp and after adapting to its personality... it can handle anything. What I would call a work horse.

it can handle anything. What I would call a work horse.

This is my definition of workhorse as well and both Kato & Heiji do not meet this criteria, yet they are some of the most referenced knives when talking about "workhorses". This is the problem with the term (even "laser" suffered from this problem). Laser originally referred to knives that would cut through material with little effort or resistance and later became a term that referred to thin knives.

This is my definition of workhorse as well and both Kato & Heiji do not meet this criteria, yet they are some of the most referenced knives when talking about "workhorses". This is the problem with the term (even "laser" suffered from this problem). Laser originally referred to knives that would cut through material with little effort or resistance and later became a term that referred to thin knives.

What would be your fav workhorse knife with that definition?

I believe I've held one true workhorse knife and that was Salty's Mizuno honyaki gyuto that he was gracious enough to pass around a few years back. Damn thing was not thin behind the edge but balanced perfectly and cut like a ************. Sweet profile to boot.

I believe I've held one true workhorse knife and that was Salty's Mizuno honyaki gyuto that he was gracious enough to pass around a few years back. Damn thing was not thin behind the edge but balanced perfectly and cut like a ************. Sweet profile to boot.

Was that different from the honyaki Mizunos that are available for purchase now?

I don't know if the grind is similar to my Miz hontanren B2, which is the one of my knives that I'd identify as the best workhorse.

my idea of workhorse would be the knife most used in the kitchen. I am usually only cooking for 3 or 4 people and don't care for big knives. here is my go to knife,

cutting edge is 3.875" long, 1.675 at the widest point. 0.06 at the spine, 0.005" at the edge, 0.02" 1/4" up and 0.03" 1/2" up. Handle is book matched red oak. I use a 10dps microbevel.
scott

Tanaka ginsanko 210, home use.

For me, my workhorse is a knife that can handle any task without being afraid of chipping it or breaking the tip if I am not careful, that is to say, it is robust, and not too thin behind the edge. I would use it without thinking too much regardless if it is a block of cheese, a steak, fish for ceviche, a bunch of parsley or a tomato. It is large enough for most tasks but not so large that I would not use it for a bit of precision work mincing shallots for example. It can hold an edge for a long time, and not too sensitive to patina development. The profile has a long flat edge as I do not do rocking cuts very often (rarely I do) and instead I do push/pull cuts most of the time. It has a confortable handle, pleasant to the touch and not slippery when wet. It is the knife I reach for when I have people around that are not knife-aware in case they use it when I am distracted. This knife is my Aritsugu A type 210 mm Wa-Gyuto with white color buffalo horn bolster and ho wood octogonal handle.

IMG_20170112_173054_zpsrwfhzcyd.jpg

IMG_20170112_173143_zpsjzax9j2p.jpg

IMG_20170112_173027_zpscjixxev6.jpg

For me, my workhorse is a knife that can handle any task without being afraid of chipping it or breaking the tip if I am not careful, that is to say, it is robust, and not too thin behind the edge. I would use it without thinking too much regardless if it is a block of cheese, a steak, fish for ceviche, a bunch of parsley or a tomato. It is large enough for most tasks but not so large that I would not use it for a bit of precision work mincing shallots for example. It can hold an edge for a long time, and not too sensitive to patina development. The profile has a long flat edge as I do not do rocking cuts very often (rarely I do) and instead I do push/pull cuts most of the time. It has a confortable handle, pleasant to the touch and not slippery when wet. It is the knife I reach for when I have people around that are not knife-aware in case they use it when I am distracted. This knife is my Aritsugu A type 210 mm Wa-Gyuto with white color buffalo horn bolster and ho wood octogonal handle.

IMG_20170112_173054_zpsrwfhzcyd.jpg

IMG_20170112_173143_zpsjzax9j2p.jpg

IMG_20170112_173027_zpscjixxev6.jpg

What's it like to sharpen that bad boy?

Ok spill. Where did you source that beauty?

If you're referring to my friend Casaluz's A-type, I would imagine A-Frames Tokyo...source of all kinds of goodies at most fair prices. Not a vendor here but seems to be trusted by most who've done business with him (Takeshi). Very solid source of quality natural stones as well.

My friend chinacats has it correctly in all counts and I echo his opinion. i use my stones to sharpen without issues or pain ( it is likely that I do not know what I am doing as well as many of you)

To me too workhorse always meant a middleweight no frills knife that can do it all and even take some abuse while never missing a beat. In a pro kitchen those to me would be the yo Tojiros, Misonos, Macs, Brietos etc. Those I see most in pro kitchens and those can take the beating that dumb cooks (like I used to be) put them thru everyday.

After ten years of everyday pro use and my Mac Pro still does everything just as well as the first day I got. That's not to say the performance is great, but it's good. The first two years I even put it thru the restaurants dishwasher about twice a day. That's how ignorant i was back then. These days the Mac does look used but still not bruised. I have semi retired it to beater duties and these days my "workhorse" is the Itinimonn StainLess.

But the way I see it, the "workhorse" fraise has changed thanks to JNS and Kato Workhorse knives. Now guys seem to use that term to describe fat bastards that cut like a dream. Meaning a knife that is a very powerful cutter, but performs with finesse and has good food release properties. Those would be the Katos, Watanabes, Toyomas etc. I don't own any of the "new" kind of workhorse knives yet, so I can't comment about them. One will be coming in in the very near future. I just need to make up my mind which one I want to get.

I think it is kind of confusing at times with the meaning changing from one post to another about which kind of "workhorse" is being discussed. Usually it does become clear from the content, but I feel recently "workhorse" related threads has been more and more about the fat bastards kind of workhorse knives.

If I were employed to chop for many hours a day i would probably use my takeda. but at home for the last couple months I have been using strictly my carter. Might crack out my teruyasu soon though hmmm

Work horse to me is just your main gyuto, which mine is masamoto ks.

I thought you preferred American maker, San Mai construction, with a core steel of AEB-L, and a length of 210mm or less? :biggrin:

Back