Crack (?) on Sukenari Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ancerill

Reaction score
So I just got my Sukenari 270 Honyaki Gyuto today... and on the right side of the blade, about half way to the tip, I found this:

20170112_165456.jpg

crack_1.jpg

I haven't used the blade yet, just wiped some of the oil coating off with tissues.

I'm not 100% sure it is a crack, but when I run my finger over it, I can feel a ridge/bump/dent whatever you call it...

Compared to the other case of cracking, this is much smaller in comparison, but still a crack... Gonna email Koki about it as well since I got this from him.

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated.

That's a bummer, get it exchanged you don't want to take chances on a honyaki.
And then post about the knife when you get new one cause that's the exact knife I'm most interested in at the moment. 270 honyaki that runs short I suspect will be my end game.

That's a bummer, get it exchanged you don't want to take chances on a honyaki.
And then post about the knife when you get new one cause that's the exact knife I'm most interested in at the moment. 270 honyaki that runs short I suspect will be my end game.

This we can agree on :biggrin:

I just emailed Koki with the same pics here,should get a reply later tonight. I will keep the trend updated as it goes on.

Unfortunately though, this was the last one Koki had in stock, so I think I'll need to wait 2-3 months for the next batch to be available. Oh well :/

If you want some pics of this one though I can try take some no problem :p

I mean as it's a monosteel I would think the chance of it cracking halfway through (ie only visible on one side) the blade is pretty damned small... That would be my assumption. Not that concern is unwarranted, cuz it's a pretty expensive knife ... Hope it's not a crack!

Just turn the blade around, if there is a similar "scratch" it is broken, otherwise it seems just to be a scratch....... You may also check the sharpened edge with your fingernail, you should feel it too (if it is broken)...

Greets Sebastian.

I think it is a crack, since the polish marks are parallel to the blade/edge, while that "crack" is perpendicular to the edge (and looks kinda out of place).

Polishing is usually done perpendicular to he previous grit… sukenari usually uses vertical spine to edge finishing, so it may possibly be coarser grit scratch that wasn't polished out.

Is it also on the left side, and can you feel it on the microbevel?

No, it is not on the other side, and I can't really feel it on the edge either. I'm hoping now it's just a deep scratch/I'm just an idiot. Did the other person with the crack mention anything having it on both sides though? I read his thread and he was using his for about 6 months already, so maybe I should start using mine and see if this "scratch" gets any bigger over time :p

Would a really deep scratch not be a stress multiplier that could eventually result in breakage, unless at least rounded out?

Definitely wait for Koki to respond he will respond in a timely manner and may be able to offer better info than any of us here. He's an honest vendor.

Would a really deep scratch not be a stress multiplier that could eventually result in breakage, unless at least rounded out?

In a pure theoretical sense yes... at least a stress multiplier. However given the thickness of material right at the end is considerably smaller and that holds up it is highly unlikely that it would result in failure... more at risk of a deep scratch at the edge pushing past the middle and creating a hole in the edge.... I would still suggest that is totally unlikely.

And I agree with most, that while it just looks like a lower grit scratcj it isn't worth the risk.

So I got a reply from Koki:

"At this moment, we can not define the part is crack or scratch. But after you will use it for a while, if you find it become serious crack or problem, please let us know. We can help for solving the situation with Sukenari."

Had plenty of experience dealing with him, never had problems and this time is no exception. I guess for now I still got myself I pretty sweet knife to work with, I'll see how it goes over time :)

That's a great experience indeed, similar to what others have mentioned here.

Back