D. Martell Western to Wa Coversion - Misono Dragon Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Here's a conversion of a Misono Swedish Steel Western Sujihiki to a Wa handle.

The handle and bolster have been ground off, the tang re-shaped to be hidden, the blade re-surfaced to blend in the missing bolster section (BTW - not so easy on a dragon etched knife), and a Stefan Keller handle installed.

First up is the old busted version....

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1010002.jpg

p1010001.jpg

Beautiful and tasteful (the thing already has a dragon on it - I'm glad to see restraint on the handle). It must have been a LOT of work (and cost a pretty penny), but it's worth it for the rarity!

Looks brand new. The owner should be pretty pleased with this.

I love the handle. If I were ever to get a custom I'd want something like that, something that has a resemblance to a traditional ho handle but is actually much fancier

That knife looks 1000 times better. Great job on that one. That's one of the best Yo to Wa conversations I've seen.

Woah! That's awesome Dave! Great conversion and awesome restoration!

Maybe you should start a "Pimp My Knife" thread. I've seen you do a few of these major overhauls and it's always just amazing what you're able to do!

Looks great! Major overhaul indeed, and the results are fantastic.

Just wondering, but how much does a conversion like this cost? I think you are setting us up Dave. You threw out there that thinning and etching and now this ;)

k.

Looking good, glad that worked out. The handle material is 'off-black' horn (more greyish than black) and spalted Hawaiian Cook pine cut lengthwise.

Stefan

Just wondering, but how much does a conversion like this cost? I think you are setting us up Dave. You threw out there that thinning and etching and now this ;)

k.

It's a set up! :D

Yeah well it's like you probably guessed pretty expensive. There's my labor plus Stefan's handle cost so this one is way up there. My part is $175.

Looking good, glad that worked out. The handle material is 'off-black' horn (more greyish than black) and spalted Hawaiian Cook pine cut lengthwise.

Stefan

Hey Stefan I'm kinda pissed at myself for not getting the cool blond streak that's on the top side in one of the pictures. I shot like 30 and not one of the top side. :slaphead:

PS - Stefan's got another nearly identical handle available.....hint-hint :D

Yep, I made two of them. The other one is a bit thicker and would be better for a 270 or even a 300 gyuto that is not too anorexic.

I have a query for western (yo) to wa handle conversion and I needed a picture so I needed to find this thread to point towards and I figured while I was here copying the URL I'd take a moment to remind folks that I can do this type of work if you're interested. I just have to find the time.... :D

How did i miss this?! Truly an awesome job, Dave! Wouldn't mind getting one of those. Thanks for bringing this back to the surface!

That's some real sweet work brother.

Converting to Wa without bolsters is hard enough with bolsters adds a whole 'nuther layer of "oops!" factor to the mix. I'm still scheming a way to do it without a lot of grinding.

Dave, very impressive work!! now, you should worry about don't have enough time for converting works keep coming in....

Back