Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Help (Input) Needed

Your Help (Input) Needed

I'm getting tired of making >$.50 an hour making knives so I thought I'd try adding in some work that I got known for - modifying Japanese knives.

An example would be how I used to rework Hiromoto AS knives with a rehandle, blade thinning/etching, etc.

If I was to buy some Japanese knives (new), which ones specifically do you think would work out well for re-selling with a modification? What modifications do you think I should offer on these knives?

I'll welcome all ideas!

Anything san mai that looks cool when etched would probably be a decent seller, tip thinning, basic upgrades, basically I'd buy a bunch of tanakas or similar "diamonds in the rough" and sexify them.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse

I know you said Japanese knives, but how about some Sabatier? Grind off that bolster, thin the blade, rehandle. I know I would buy one, just a thought.

Definitely some stainless-clad blades with stainless, SS or carbon core. Keep making those wester handles. Also - add some smaller knives - 120 - 180 that can be bought as a gift for spouses. What about a collaboration with someone like JCK? Consider having a short logo/mark added to a butt of a handle on rehandled knives.

Not exactly what you're asking about but figure with your skillset and tools it's a need that doesn't seem to be filled...could probably do it production style once you got a good design...maybe a standard design of say 10-12 gyutos and a couple of petties and then add custom jobs to spec.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...e-large-knives
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Misono Dragons, like this one you did five years ago:

More pics here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post182947
    Keep what you love and get rid of what you don’t.

That looks really good. I have a Masamoto Yo, that I wouldn't mind something like that done to.

Make mid techs and sell them on chef knives 2go

But seriously mid techs, basic yo or yo hybrid handles, heck even if you just mass produced a bunch of 240's it would atleast be more efficient.
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Anything san mai that looks cool when etched would probably be a decent seller, tip thinning, basic upgrades, basically I'd buy a bunch of tanakas or similar "diamonds in the rough" and sexify them.
    I like what you're talking here.

Quote Originally Posted by KCMande View Post
    I know you said Japanese knives, but how about some Sabatier? Grind off that bolster, thin the blade, rehandle. I know I would buy one, just a thought.
    I like this idea too. I wonder about the end price though....would be pretty high, might push it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Definitely some stainless-clad blades with stainless, SS or carbon core. Keep making those wester handles. Also - add some smaller knives - 120 - 180 that can be bought as a gift for spouses. What about a collaboration with someone like JCK? Consider having a short logo/mark added to a butt of a handle on rehandled knives.
    Yeah the stainless clad blades can be a winner.

Smaller Martell knives could happen, that's a good idea.

I'd love to do a collaboration yet every time I've reached out to vendors it's been a no go for one reason or another. I'd be down for it though.

I like the idea of marking the butt/tang of the blade with my name on an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Not exactly what you're asking about but figure with your skillset and tools it's a need that doesn't seem to be filled...could probably do it production style once you got a good design...maybe a standard design of say 10-12 gyutos and a couple of petties and then add custom jobs to spec.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...e-large-knives

That's for sure a hole in the market currently, not sure I could handle that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Misono Dragons, like this one you did five years ago:

More pics here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post182947
    Those dragons sure look nice rehandled. I'd love to do some of those, maybe this would be a good one to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmoley View Post
    That looks really good. I have a Masamoto Yo, that I wouldn't mind something like that done to.
    PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Make mid techs and sell them on chef knives 2go

But seriously mid techs, basic yo or yo hybrid handles, heck even if you just mass produced a bunch of 240's it would atleast be more efficient.
    Mid techs - Hahahahaha!!!! Seen too many knife makers get burned on that idea.

I wish I could mass produce on any level. Seems like the best I can do is 2 or 3 of anything at a time. But then I can't sell them quick enough making me wish I only did one.

dave every single knife ive ever bought ive always modified to how i want it. mostly thinning, but if too thin behind the edge i would intentionally thicken and add convexity back, or in a lot of instances i would adjust the profile to a more KS-like shape. so pretty much any popular knife would be a good candidate for modify and resell. takeda would be a prime example.

i bet if you bought like 20 fujiwara nashiji direct @ a bulk discount rate, regrind, put your fit & finish on it with a spa treatment + rehandle you'd make a killing. call it a hitech, f*ck this midtech crap.