Quantcast
Western to Wa Coversion - Misono Dragon Suji - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western to Wa Coversion - Misono Dragon Suji

Woah! That's awesome Dave! Great conversion and awesome restoration!

Maybe you should start a "Pimp My Knife" thread. I've seen you do a few of these major overhauls and it's always just amazing what you're able to do!

Looks great! Major overhaul indeed, and the results are fantastic.
    Len

Just wondering, but how much does a conversion like this cost? I think you are setting us up Dave. You threw out there that thinning and etching and now this

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Looking good, glad that worked out. The handle material is 'off-black' horn (more greyish than black) and spalted Hawaiian Cook pine cut lengthwise.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Just wondering, but how much does a conversion like this cost? I think you are setting us up Dave. You threw out there that thinning and etching and now this

k.

It's a set up!

Yeah well it's like you probably guessed pretty expensive. There's my labor plus Stefan's handle cost so this one is way up there. My part is $175.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Looking good, glad that worked out. The handle material is 'off-black' horn (more greyish than black) and spalted Hawaiian Cook pine cut lengthwise.

Stefan
    Hey Stefan I'm kinda pissed at myself for not getting the cool blond streak that's on the top side in one of the pictures. I shot like 30 and not one of the top side.

PS - Stefan's got another nearly identical handle available.....hint-hint

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    PS - Stefan's got another nearly identical handle available.....hint-hint
    Yep, I made two of them. The other one is a bit thicker and would be better for a 270 or even a 300 gyuto that is not too anorexic.

I have a query for western (yo) to wa handle conversion and I needed a picture so I needed to find this thread to point towards and I figured while I was here copying the URL I'd take a moment to remind folks that I can do this type of work if you're interested. I just have to find the time....