Strange Tanaka grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got this in the mail today from K&S. I noticed right away that it had a very uneven bevel grind. It's super flat on the right side and has a wide edge on the left. This concerns me because I'm right handed, but concerns me most because I paid money for it. This isn't supposed to be like this is it?

2j4akpf.jpg

It's a hand forged knife, and they typically come looking like that from Tanaka. My old ginsanko the same but much thinner ... It shouldn't be a big issue. The way you're holding the knife suggests that it's straight to me.

How does it cut? My Tanakas are the pretty much the same. Flat bevel on left and convex on the right.

Choil shot

^pic didn't work for me. But there was a thread about this exact thing a while ago, like maybe a month or more?

If you feel the knife--or lay it on the stones and scratch it a bit you'll realize that the back ~2 inches of the knife seems to be ground lefty. I'm not sure of the reason for this but it is not indicative of the rest of the blade. I've owned quite a few (6th arrived today:)) and all gave the impression of being lefty from the choil. Cut with the knife and you'll easily tell how it is ground...again, that or put it on the stones to see for yourself. Release on the right side of these are all excellent, have no idea how it would work from the left.

Cheers

I've accepted the grind but after closer inspection I noticed this thing is bent!

2jcwqz8.jpg

Notice the sweep to the right

2zhpqwp.jpg

You can see the curved gap against the straight edge

I thought James inspected all of his product?

My kurouchi Tanaka from James is also rather asymmetrically ground (interestingly the Kurouchi starts higher then where the wide bevel stops on one side, what resutls in kurouchi being symmetrical left-right, but the grind not.

Back