Quantcast
razor paddle strop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: razor paddle strop

razor paddle strop

As I was browsing the weekly flea market down the street from my house I spied an antique Howard #255 razor strop in very nice condition. It is 2 sided and has a little red compound on one side. I talked the guy down to 10 bucks and brought it home, intending to use it on my straight razor, butt I tried it on a couple of knives first. Woo-Hoo!
    It brought a fairly sharp edge to very sharp in short order. I do believe that I have a new weapon in the sharpening arsenal.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

congratulations.. a good find is most satisfying indeed. IF needed , can clean the red compound off with alcohol. If leather is dry , you will have to make it supple again by oiling it. I used mineral oil.

i trust ht by now all your knives in the hse wld have been stropped!

hv a nice week-end

rgds
    d

I have seen loads of these paddle strops and have always been curious about them. Does the leather stay flat on them? I use a rather cheap one that has no backing and warps a little, making it pretty useless sometimes

This one has a little more cushion than my homemade ones, each side a little different. The compound on the one side is just residue, about the right amount I think! This thing is pretty well made, with a heavy wire frame around the perimeter.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I have seen loads of these paddle strops and have always been curious about them. Does the leather stay flat on them? I use a rather cheap one that has no backing and warps a little, making it pretty useless sometimes
    if the leather is not flat it will be useless for razors.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    if the leather is not flat it will be useless for razors.
    This is what I use. It is very cheap and I use the rough side of it. The smooth side warps a lot and that's why I started using the rough bit. I guess I shouldn't expect too much when it's so cheap, but I guess glueing it to a bit of wood wouldn't do any harm. Needa find a proper strop like the one Dave sells but they are hard to come by where I live

I have one of those super-long leather strops from sharper-knives that I loaded with 1.0u diamond and use a bit like a paddle strop. Actually, it's so long that I tuck one end under my chin and hold it like a violin and stroke the knife like a bow (only in one direction along the leather of course).

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    This is what I use. It is very cheap and I use the rough side of it. The smooth side warps a lot and that's why I started using the rough bit. I guess I shouldn't expect too much when it's so cheap, but I guess glueing it to a bit of wood wouldn't do any harm. Needa find a proper strop like the one Dave sells but they are hard to come by where I live
    There's a razor strop retailer in the UK that is supposed to have some nice strops, both hanging & mounted, but I can't recall the business name. If I can find a link I'll post it.

There is always Mr. Tony Miller in the UK. I do love his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There is always Mr. Tony Miller in the UK. I do love his work.
    Tony Miller lives in MD USA, may be you mean Niel Miller?

+ Reply to Thread