Tojiro 210mm WS#2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDj

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just saw the 210mm "Tojiro ITK" at cktg and I'm wondering if anyone here has one and what your impression about the geometry is. I mean, it's no super-sexy Konosuke or Yoshikane (or Dave or Ealy or Fowler etc), but a hunk of WS#2 at $50 is hard to beat, right? The spine/choil are unfinished, the handle is likely Carter-esque, but what about geometry/steel? My clicking-finger is itchy, and I was hoping someone could talk some sense into me before I send Ulysses S Grant's portrait on over. (If it was a 240, I would have bought one already ...)

only if you put up at least one pic ... lol.
thanks for your help - i know that i'll be waiting.

Pics?!?!?! Oh fine. Pics it is.

*grumble* Friggin' cameras... What's the quote? Once more unto the aperture?

Buy it.
I have one from thefirst batch.
Honestly, I havent played with it much (yet... been working on 2 reviews of cpm 154 knives), but i bought it solely based on my positive experience with the other wa-handled tojiros in the same steel. I've used their nakiri, and given some as "first carbon/j- knife" gifts. The steel gets very sharp very easily and is also fairly forgiving of abuse, and the area with thru forge finish is even more rust/ stain resistant.
The 210 itk gyuto is actually even nicer than I expected. thicker (in a good way) than i would have expected at the spine / near the handled with a pretty rad distle taper and very thin behind the edge.

Thanks for posting, it will give me some motivation to get off my butt. -Look for picks or maybe a short vid later tonight.

I am that close to pulling the trigger but I keep reminding myself that I already have a 210 Yamawaku (V2) and a 180 Shimatani (Blue#2).... aaaaaargggh!

It depends, I don't think I would use a 210 gyuto much, so I am waiting for the petty to come out.

Do it! Fantastic little knife for 50 dollars. Takes a great edge. Nice to use. Not my main knife currently but definitely has seen some use since Monday (when it arrived)!

That petty is going to be GONE in a few hours. Mark doesn't even know.

Have you seen how pettys go in these parts? And it'll be the month before Christmas? Fuggedaboudit.

DAMMITT....!! How do I make all these voices in my head go away???

but petties i can make the case that i need stainless because of higher likelihood of cutting citrus. but a gyuto that i'm kind of allowed to beat the bejesus out of (and then have fun sharpening up again in no time?) - that might be fun.

Seb, I've solved your problem. I'll but your Yamawaku off you and you can get the Tojiro (which I never got the email update for, as promised, by the way).

but petties i can make the case that i need stainless because of higher likelihood of cutting citrus. but a gyuto that i'm kind of allowed to beat the bejesus out of (and then have fun sharpening up again in no time?) - that might be fun.

I cut citrus both today and my entire childhood with carbon steel knives. No problem.

Seb, I've solved your problem. I'll but your Yamawaku off you and you can get the Tojiro (which I never got the email update for, as promised, by the way).

Tempting, but I know I'll miss it if it goes.

It's a shame that those Shimatanis are hard to get now because they are awesome: thin, Kurouchi-clad Blue#2, superb Fit and Finish and octagonal rosewood handle - all for $80 (at the time); like a Moritaka but better because it doesn't come with all the BS with overgrinds.

there'll be more ... plus now it gives me thinking-time.

Back