Quantcast
Excellent German carbon lobster splitter + Watanabe katsuo bocho
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent German carbon lobster splitter + Watanabe katsuo bocho

Excellent German carbon lobster splitter + Watanabe katsuo bocho

Here are two very nice knives. The lobster splitter is made of virgin carbon steel by Gotham Rheingold in the first half of the 20th century. It's blade is massive, with a 10.25" cutting edge (260mm) and a full tang that is 5mm thick (the nose tapers a bit thinner, and it can be used for more than just heavy work).
    It has one of the coolest handles I have ever seen on a western knife, and certainly an old knife: a beautiful lined rosewood deal with brass and steel bird's eye rivets. It is very comfortable to hold and solid as a rock (see pictures). The condition is great overall for the age, and the bevel work was touched up by Dave, so it's flawless there. Could be used like a western deba, too (but tougher). Weighs over a lb. This is a really special knife and unique for its kind.
    Lobster splitter $110 shipped CONUS

The next one is a 225mm Watanabe katsuo bocho in blue steel. It is in excellent condition. This is a double bevel knife for breaking down fish (specifically katsuo/skipjack) with an angled nose used to cut out hard dorsal fins by flipping it over. See a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCAqYrCaupk
    It can also work on other fish of course, and has a spine thickness similar to a Watanabe gyuto (a little thicker toward the nose). A really interesting knife we don't see a lot over here.
    Katsuo $180 shipped

Right click View image for full size

katsuo

Hi,
    pm for the lobster killer sent.
    rgds

Robster splitter sold locally

another great deal on that lobster splitter: one not nearly as nice is on ebay right now for almost $200
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-Vinta...ht_7331wt_1163

Splitter sold a long time ago, but the katsuo is still available, $165 shipped conus.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Interested in a trade for the katsuo? I'm broke as all ******* hell right now, but I *do* have a 3 year old cat with some sort of mental disability. She's cute but she makes terrible noises with her mouth thing. Straight across the board, no returns either way. I'll even throw in about six months worth of cat food.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Interested in a trade for the katsuo? I'm broke as all ******* hell right now, but I *do* have a 3 year old cat with some sort of mental disability. She's cute but she makes terrible noises with her mouth thing. Straight across the board, no returns either way. I'll even throw in about six months worth of cat food.
    Are you drunk again Mr. Lahey?

Damn! Damn! Nice lobster splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post

pm sent

rgds
    David

+ Reply to Thread