• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Excellent German carbon lobster splitter + Watanabe katsuo bocho

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bishamon

Reaction score
Here are two very nice knives. The lobster splitter is made of virgin carbon steel by Gotham Rheingold in the first half of the 20th century. It's blade is massive, with a 10.25" cutting edge (260mm) and a full tang that is 5mm thick (the nose tapers a bit thinner, and it can be used for more than just heavy work).
It has one of the coolest handles I have ever seen on a western knife, and certainly an old knife: a beautiful lined rosewood deal with brass and steel bird's eye rivets. It is very comfortable to hold and solid as a rock (see pictures). The condition is great overall for the age, and the bevel work was touched up by Dave, so it's flawless there. Could be used like a western deba, too (but tougher). Weighs over a lb. This is a really special knife and unique for its kind.
Lobster splitter $110 shipped CONUS

The next one is a 225mm Watanabe katsuo bocho in blue steel. It is in excellent condition. This is a double bevel knife for breaking down fish (specifically katsuo/skipjack) with an angled nose used to cut out hard dorsal fins by flipping it over. See a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCAqYrCaupk
It can also work on other fish of course, and has a spine thickness similar to a Watanabe gyuto (a little thicker toward the nose). A really interesting knife we don't see a lot over here.
Katsuo $180 shipped

Right click View image for full size

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

katsuo
IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

Splitter sold a long time ago, but the katsuo is still available, $165 shipped conus.

Interested in a trade for the katsuo? I'm broke as all ******* hell right now, but I *do* have a 3 year old cat with some sort of mental disability. She's cute but she makes terrible noises with her mouth thing. Straight across the board, no returns either way. I'll even throw in about six months worth of cat food.

Interested in a trade for the katsuo? I'm broke as all ******* hell right now, but I *do* have a 3 year old cat with some sort of mental disability. She's cute but she makes terrible noises with her mouth thing. Straight across the board, no returns either way. I'll even throw in about six months worth of cat food.

Are you drunk again Mr. Lahey?

:rofl:

I don't deal in cats anymore. Not after the incident.

My sincere apologies..

rectified and pay paled..

rgds d

Back