Help with progress of Shun maintenance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0real

Reaction score
Hi all, so since i joined the forum, i have been learning to sharpen everyday with my King 1000 and i promised myself that i won't touch my other knives until i fixed this one first. To this moment, i think i have fixed the chipped that was there and managed to get quite a good edge. Right now i need some help on how to get a polished finish by removing all those surface scratches and scuffs. How should i a beginner like me go about it and what kind of things would i need to get the best result? I would really appreciate all the inputs from everyone here. thank you all.

Regards,
Win

BEFORE

AFTER

Hit up Home Depot or the Blue Store for a pack of assorted automotive or wet dry sandpaper. (Prob black) Start with lowest that will remove scratches. 220ish Then move up to remove those scratches. And so on until you're where you want to be. Don't remember how high it goes but before it's done the scratches wAill be too small to see.

Buying a sanding block to work with is a good thing.

Conversely a more permanent solution is a set of Micro-Mesh sanding pads. Link below to Amazon product. They also make an "MX" series that is specific to metal. I've both and they've become what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJC156U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit up Home Depot or the Blue Store for a pack of assorted automotive or wet dry sandpaper. (Prob black) Start with lowest that will remove scratches. 220ish Then move up to remove those scratches. And so on until you're where you want to be. Don't remember how high it goes but before it's done the scratches wAill be too small to see.

Buying a sanding block to work with is a good thing.

Conversely a more permanent solution is a set of Micro-Mesh sanding pads. Link below to Amazon product. They also make an "MX" series that is specific to metal. I've both and they've become what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJC156U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks Dave for the advice. so if i get myself a 220 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to start with. at which point do i stop and move to the next grit? and can you recommend the different grits of sandpaper that you think i may require to complete the job? sorry for all the stupid questions but i really have not a slightest idea on how to do this.

Win

Last edited by a moderator:
In days before Micro Mesh I bought the assortment pack. Start at bottom, then when existing scratches are removed, move up a grit or two. Repeat. I don't recall the grits involved, seems like it starts 140 or 220 then up incrementally to 2K. Easier than it sounds. Much.

If you can wait for delivery the Micro Mesh is the better long term solution.

In days before Micro Mesh I bought the assortment pack. Start at bottom, then when existing scratches are removed, move up a grit or two. Repeat. I don't recall the grits involved, seems like it starts 140 or 220 then up incrementally to 2K. Easier than it sounds. Much.

If you can wait for delivery the Micro Mesh is the better long term solution.

I see, the micro mesh MX sound really good for this. I will try to see if any shop carry them locally first. Does this method work for the edge of the knife as well or i have to get finishing stones for the edge?

Some people alternate the direction of sanding 90 degrees and continue until all the scratches in the opposite direction are gone.

IME, a misty finish is 6-800 grit, shiny is maybe 1000-1500. 2-3K gives a reasonable semi mirror polish.

I'm not sure if you'll need to etch it afterwards to bring out the damascus pattern.

"or i have to get finishing stones for the edge?"

Polishing and sharpening are two different things. What I've described will polish the scuffs from sharpening out. You'll probably want to touch up the edge with stones after you get the polishing complete. Light stropping will do it.

"or i have to get finishing stones for the edge?"

Polishing and sharpening are two different things. What I've described will polish the scuffs from sharpening out. You'll probably want to touch up the edge with stones after you get the polishing complete. Light stropping will do it.

I'm sorry for the confusion. what i mean is, will it be fine if i use the micro mesh near the edge of the knife as well? as i think i have seen videos of people polishing using stones as well.

If doing serious work on the blade face, some people blunt the edge for safety, then resharpen when done.

Thanks for the input Nemo and i think that will also require another lesson on another day. I have cut myself a lot of times even sharpening but i think i will take it really slow on this process. wouldn't want to lose a finger or two.

Yep. Moving anything parallel to the edge (like a sandpaper block) means you have a chance of meeting the edge in a nasty way should you slip - and be aware that sandpaper itself is capable of inadvertently sharpening it!

If doing serious work on the blade face, some people blunt the edge for safety, then resharpen when done.

Noob question, but what's the best way of dulling the edge? Of course there's also taping the edge which will get you close, but probably not close enough to work for OP's purposes.

Let a friend or relative, who is an avid cook but not a knife enthusiast, borrow it for a week.

That damascus look will be gone from polishing, It's not easy to keep these kind of knives in pristine condition, get scratched up so easily. https://www.instagram.com/p/BPNIEp6hF-R/ the top knife looked similar to your Shun before I polished out most of the scratches. I think I went here from 320 to about 4k grit

Noob question, but what's the best way of dulling the edge? Of course there's also taping the edge which will get you close, but probably not close enough to work for OP's purposes.

When I have done it, I drew the edge along a fine stone (at 90 deg to stone) once or twice with no pressure. This way, you probably haven't damaged too much of the edge, so it shouldn't bee too hard to resharpen. Of course confirm that it's not sharp before proceeding.

You should be fine with the edge, just be aware that it's there and respect it. The sanding block will take the risk.

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice. I shall post updates when i'm done with the knife.

Back