Stupidity.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGui

Reaction score
I stabbed my hand with a 270mm dexter while putting a cork on the tip while cleaning after rush. Hurts more knowing how stupid i was.

What's your worst one? I know im not the only one. Or am i... :cry:

I was ******* around with my knife after sharpening it, hacking away at pieces of paper , and i missed and sliced part of my knuckle off. just barely missed an artery.

had a sous who lost a pinky tossing his knife around and catching it. sliced the tendon by accident and about three years later had to have it amputated because the cut tendon was causing his hand to claw up permanently. -_-

worst I ever did was take my fingertip off on a meat slicer, sent blood splatter up on the 20 ft ceiling (ceiling may get higher every time I tell the story). One of the few scars I figure will probably never fully heal. maybe half a mm shy of the bone on the very tip. it got that god awful instant clotting powder they keep in professionally stocked first aid stations. never. again.

km0tdFc.jpg

I have a shot with flesh kinda oozing out but... you get the picture

had a sous who lost a pinky tossing his knife around and catching it. sliced the tendon by accident and about three years later had to have it amputated because the cut tendon was causing his hand to claw up permanently. -_-

worst I ever did was take my fingertip off on a meat slicer, sent blood splatter up on the 20 ft ceiling (ceiling may get higher every time I tell the story). One of the few scars I figure will probably never fully heal. maybe half a mm shy of the bone on the very tip. it got that god awful instant clotting powder they keep in professionally stocked first aid stations. never. again.

What a nightmare..

I was ******* around with my knife after sharpening it, hacking away at pieces of paper , and i missed and sliced part of my knuckle off. just barely missed an artery.

Ooooohhhh. Classic. Did this once and joked around, "now thats how you know its sharp"

Its a classic but a good one. New guy in the kitchen who was working his way through cooking school at the time, on his 2nd day knocked a knife I loaned him off a tabletop during prep and tried to catch it rather than getting out of the way and letting it drop. Missed all the important things luckily but had a deep gash across all four of his fingers and bleed like a fountain. As I recall, this kid always seemed to be injuring himself- touching hot things, grating his fingertips, catching himself on the mandoline- but I dont think he ever cut himself on a knife again.

One of my better scars came from stupidity. Came home from a night of indulging in my younger years and grabbed a tin of smoked oysters for my pre-sleep snack. Laid my hand across the top and pulled the tab with the other hand. Managed to slice between my thumb and first finger open enough for a half dozen stitches. :O

New year's eve 2015-2016: I opened oysters after drinking quite some champagne.... Stuck the oyster knife in my palm. I enjoyed the rest of the evening, but on the morning of january 1st, when I woke up, I had a hard a time moving a finger in regard to my palm injury.... So I ended in the emergency and later in surgery on the 01/01. We were three like me in this hospital in Paris to get surgery for the same problem on 01/01. In France, it is classical to eat oysters for new year's eve. I had touched the tendon. One month of recovery. Now it is fine, just a scar to remember not to drink before opening oysters...

Side note about health insurance, public hospital, and european union: I arrived at the hospital around 10am. I was checked by a doctor 30 min after. I was getting surgery same day at 3pm. I was back home at 10pm. I did not payed a cent for all this, neither for the taxi who drove me home, neither for all the drugs I had to take, neither for the nurse who came to my place few times to change the bandages. All was taken care of by the mandatory national health insurance. I would have costed more than 6000 euros (~6400US$), if not... There are some nice things about EU.

New year's eve 2015-2016: I opened oysters after drinking quite some champagne.... Stuck the oyster knife in my palm. I enjoyed the rest of the evening, but on the morning of january 1st, when I woke up, I had a hard a time moving a finger in regard to my palm injury.... So I ended in the emergency and later in surgery on the 01/01. We were three like me in this hospital in Paris to get surgery for the same problem on 01/01. In France, it is classical to eat oysters for new year's eve. I had touched the tendon. One month of recovery. Now it is fine, just a scar to remember not to drink before opening oysters...

Side note about health insurance, public hospital, and european union: I arrived at the hospital around 10am. I was checked by a doctor 30 min after. I was getting surgery same day at 3pm. I was back home at 10pm. I did not payed a cent for all this, neither for the taxi who drove me home, neither for all the drugs I had to take, neither for the nurse who came to my place few times to change the bandages. All was taken care of by the mandatory national health insurance. I would have costed more than 6000 euros (~6400US$), if not... There are some nice things about EU.

It probably would've cost you 60,000 in the US....

Don't be going there.......:nono:

So I just caught up on THIS thread, then going to Korin's site to id a Suisin Takobiki I'm thinking about putting on bst. I set the knife down. I bump the coffee cup. I grab for the coffee and bump the knife. I grabbed for the knife. All completely unsuccessful. Spilled coffee everywhere, small cut from chin of knife. But I know which Takobiki I have. Hate Mondays.

So cut-proof gloves are actually meant for situations where you handle knives with divided attention?

My man! The technique was to blame not the champagne, have seen many a shucker go awry...

oysters will not yield to force... well they will but so will the skin on your hand as you found out :(

You must only situate the point of the oyster knife properly in the shell, only on occasion or with certain varieties is it necessary to apply force to do this (though a french style oyster knife or kakimuki is better, but requires more skill as it can cause serious damage), from there it is all a matter of twisting. Plus the importance of a folded cloth cannot be understated.

I hope it won't happen again :(

Have you guys heard of the saying that a knife is truly yours only when you get cut by it?

I picked up a red ikea knife. Handle was red, blade was red and the plastic blade cover was red. All the same red. So anyway, i always sheath the knife for storage. I do this with all knives. One time I left the knife unsheathed and when i came back to pick it up i grabbed the handle with one hand and the blade with the other and attempted to pull the sheath off. Took half a second to realize i was gripping the blade and not the sheath. I also wasnt looking directly at the knife when i picked it up. Small cuts along my fingers, had the knife been sharp it could have been serious. Inattention in the kicthen is a sin we've all commited, but a monochromatic coloured knife is a terrible idea. Contrasting colours between the blade, handle and sheath for cheap knives just make sense.

"Have you guys heard of the saying that a knife is truly yours only when you get cut by it?"

Or after the first time you sharpened it yourself (well, you "cut" the knife ;)?

"Have you guys heard of the saying that a knife is truly yours only when you get cut by it?"

Or after the first time you sharpened it yourself (well, you "cut" the knife ;)?

I'm just learning to sharpen so whenever I do I like to kill two birds with one stone and cut both the knife and myself. This way it's REALLY mine.

First Blood...inserting a brand new 270 mioroshi deba back into the shiny black paper sheath it was shipped in. Dopey tried to force it in holding the folded sides and of course the edge cut right through and all four finger tips got some shig love.

During rush with a chef yelling at him, a friend of mine training, grabbed his veal millanese in the fryer with his bare hands. We all tried not to laugh seeing as he fried his hand :lol2:

I am cutting my self pretty often :( It never happens when cutting, its always when I am working on the knife.

I had this one 2 months ago when rounding spine with sanding paper doing shoe shine motion. I was not careful a nicked 1mm om my finger off. It was not that bad but I was bleeding as a pig. I went to ER to have it properly bandaged. Next day when I woke up the whole bandage was completely red on the finger. After that luckily the bleeding stopped and it healed pretty fast:

After paying hospital bills for finger lacerations, i dont think ill ever go back to the ER for cuts, unless i cut an artery.

Sure, if its a superficial cut. But be careful, there's lots of fragile structures (tendons, nerves, blood vessels, ligaments, flexor pulleys, extensor retinaculae....) in a hand that are easy to injure and are immediately under the skin. Also, the last thing you want is to get septic arthritis or tennosynovitis. I would not advise "seeing how it goes" with very deep cuts.
I guess it's easy for me to say living in a country with readily available publicly funded health care, but yikes! these are your hands we are talking about.

After paying hospital bills for finger lacerations, i dont think ill ever go back to the ER for cuts, unless i cut an artery.

Yup- I am pretty good at knowing if I can take care of it or not. CA works well and I couldn't care less about a little scar. The only stitches I have had are when I paid for the cut.

Sure, if its a superficial cut. But be careful, there's lots of fragile structures (tendons, nerves, blood vessels, ligaments, flexor pulleys, extensor retinaculae....) in a hand that are easy to injure and are immediately under the skin. Also, the last thing you want is to get septic arthritis or tennosynovitis. I would not advise "seeing how it goes" with very deep cuts.
I guess it's easy for me to say living in a country with readily available publicly funded health care, but yikes! these are your hands we are talking about.

I would also be very careful: with my oyster accident, I could have lost a tendon, although the cut seemed to me superficial. But same thing here: I do not pay hospital's bill thanks to universal health care.

Ah yes, super glue. The one used in hospitals is dyed blue. I don't know if it's otherwise the same as the stuff that comes from the hardware store.

Back