Help me find a 240 workhorse QV2 included

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a tanaka KU from James, was excited to have this as my beefier knife but noticed it was bent. Retuning that and now I need a replacement.
2zflxr9.jpg

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
R

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
WA preferred for looks, but don't care.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Prefer carbon, AS is my fav but yet to try w2 or b1.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
300 max, but would prefer to stay in the 200 range so my wife doesn't strangle me

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional, but home use as well

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All of them. Heavier duty tasks

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing per say. But currently have a 210 JKI ikazuchi. Would like something for harder denser foods.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Chop/push

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Just to be able to be less anxious about destroying my ikazuchi

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
KU would be nice. Nothing stainless clad

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
F&F is a plus but not a deal breaker.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Food release is a plus.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Currently learning to sharpen so this isn't a big deal

To keep the wife happy... and you. This:
http://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier...3-08-22-12-33-182013-08-22-12-33-18-54-detail

Good middleweight with wide bevel grind, fully reactive, thin behind the edge, very good HT B2, 64 hrc, nice profile, great F&F, almost as easy to sharpen as a B2 Tanaka, holds it's a little longer. They deduct VAT (25%) but with added shipment the price is about what you see on the site.

I have it in 210mm and really like it. I want to get the 240 though.

Also check the Sukenari AS, rebranded as fu rin ka zan, from Jck, 64 hrc, stainless cladding, at 260usd, at the 'specials"
And 7 usd Mail, you will receive it within less than a week

What's the price on that in USD after shipping you think? I can't seem to navigate that site at all

Send them an email. They all speak English very well and are pretty quick to answer.
I don't know their shipment cost to the US, but after the tax is deducted that's about 117$ (plus shipment cost).

Can I just ask... have you used the knife you have... that doesn't look that bad in terms of deflection and having a dead straight knife is probably rare....

Could be wrong, and I'm sure others will call me out if I am... but just want to make sure you don't give away a knife with a great rep for one that isn't...

Also why not just ask for a replacement (or is he out of stock?)

That I can't comment on... you would have to check what James will do.... but given their rep... i think you would be hard pressed to find something else decent in that price.... especially without some work required, aka thinning or rounding of choil etc.

What's the price on that in USD after shipping you think? I can't seem to navigate that site at all
They ship without VAT but you must be prepared on that you might get added VAT and customs cost on import to the US.

They ship without VAT but you must be prepared on that you might get added VAT and customs cost on import to the US.

True, just like with the Tanaka from K&S.

Back