Japanese Knives Gengetsu BACK IN STOCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
We've got 210mm and 240mm Wa-Gyutos in both stainless clad white #2 and stainless clad semi-stainless... get 'em while they last:

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/gengetsu

15995165_10154486050338860_8947926566334654893_o.jpg

:D :D :D
Question on the stainless clad white 2 vs the stainless clad semi-stainless. The specs on spine thickness and weight seem to differ a lot on the 240mm's of each. Are they meant to be somewhat different feeling knives?

not necessairly... they are hand forged one by one, so its hard to have them be perfect... sorry about that. In hand, they are generally pretty similar.

weight measurements were wrong and are being fixed though

Thanks for the clarification. The initial 240mm white 2 listing took me by surprise - weight listed made me mentally picture Ikazuchi with a burnt chestnut handle. Glad I asked

How does the semi stainless perform (sharpening, edge retention) compared to the shiroko?
Jon, do you say which steel the semi stainless is?

i do not say what the steel is... sorry.

Its a bit more difficult to sharpen and wont get quite as sharp as the white #2, but it has better edge retention and toughness... pretty normal stuff

i do not say what the steel is... sorry.

Its a bit more difficult to sharpen and wont get quite as sharp as the white #2, but it has better edge retention and toughness... pretty normal stuff

No need to apologize, I was just curious.

But as you say, it sounds like most other semi stainless.

Been waiting for this forever! Very excited to give one of these a run.

I just pulled the trigger on the white#2 240 as well. Upgrade from my Shun Edo! Does anyone have a recommendation on where to get a saya?

Got my 240's today - as usual impeccable / packaging was fantastic and the attention to detail from F&F of the knives, to the edges, to the boxing, wrapping, note ... etc. etc. etc. Plus they cut SWEET! Can't say enough about JKI … Just wish they were in San Diego … although my wallet is probably OK with that …

Thx Jon & Sara!

I just pulled the trigger on the white#2 240 as well. Upgrade from my Shun Edo! Does anyone have a recommendation on where to get a saya?

If we haven't shipped yet, just ask me and I'll see what we have around

Thanks, Jon. Josh Found one for me!! I forgot to report back here :)

what are the chances of getting just handles? do they make d-shaped ones? i bet you i would not be the only one interested, you could do a group buy.

handles are so difficult to source right now... i've got some burnt chestnut in stock right now, but its barely enough to cover the needs of our rehandling service

Aww shoot. Had it shipped already... was thinking hard about where to get a saya

i might still have a saya that fits... shoot me an e-mail and lets see what i can do for you

I am eagerly waiting for my 240mm semi-stainless to arrive!:jumping3:

Got mine as well. Thanks to all at JKI. Hardly had a chance to use it yet, but will tell you that the handle is such a joy to hold. Really, really, nice. Will get to use it for lunch today though...some at least. Wife is cooking some black rice and I'll chop up a bunch of veggies and stuff to make some sort of dish with.

what are the chances of getting just handles? do they make d-shaped ones? i bet you i would not be the only one interested, you could do a group buy.

You should buy a gengetsu just to get the handle, mine arrived yesterday-really really sweet handles.

Got mine, handwritten note, impeccably packaged and even wrapped in tissue. Customer service beyond what I was expecting.

Then I open the box...and pause. Oh my goodness, the polish and grind of the blade, the fit of the handle. Can this wonderous thing truly belong to me. Taking it out of the box I was stunned and how light and nimble it felt.

Is this what you guys are calling a lazer?

Went with the White #2 and immediately had to attack some carrots and onions. The knife was so light in my hand I was still surprised how little effort was needed to cut my veggies. Now, it will never replace my beloved Nakiri's, but damn! You could easily do a lot of prep all day without fatigue with this thing. I can easily see why a lot of guys say they love it in professional kitchens.

It's one of three knives currently out on the counter (ie - used so often it doesn't make it back into it's box - yea I really need those display stands). Thanks Jon for a very pleasurable knife!

I never get tired of Happy Mailbox Day from JKI. Though I think the fine wrapping is Sara's department.

Please, people, buy them out quickly, so I can stop agonizing over desperately wanting one and knowing I can't justify the cost. :(

Back