Looking for knife to compliment current knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
I am a home chef looking to add a knife to my set. I'm uncertain which type of blade might offer the most utility without overlapping with my other knives too much.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Uncertain. Maybe nakiri, santoku, or smaller gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180-240

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
At home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Primarily slicing and chopping vegetables. Maybe light boneless meat duty.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None, looking to supplement 240mm Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto, 150mm Tanaka Ginsan Petty, 270mm Kohetsu HAP40 sujihiki, and 10.5" MAC bread knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push cut, chopping

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I think I'd like to get something on the thinner side, the Tanakas feel a bit thick at times. Simple finish or nashiji is prefered. No kurouchi

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Higher grit stones soon.

The Gesshin Ginga line looks like it suits most of my needs, I'm just unsure which blade style most people would prefer to compliment the above knives. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
With a Tanaka 240 Ginsanko there's not much else you need. Ask me how I know.:cool2:

Noticeably missing from the kit is a Nakiri. Veg cutting machine though I wouldn't recommend it for meats, boneless or otherwise. Watanabe Professional 180 gets and deserves a lot of love. A lot of fun to work with.

Noticeably missing from the kit is a Nakiri. Veg cutting machine though I wouldn't recommend it for meats, boneless or otherwise. Watanabe Professional 180 gets and deserves a lot of love. A lot of fun to work with.

Would you add a nakiri before a 210 gyuto? I'd like something fun, but also something practical.

Yes with a couple caveats.

If there is a SO involved in cooking that finds the 240 long then a 210 might be in order.

If you're inclined towards one of the Gengetsu that just hit the streets then get it now.

Otherwise the Nakiri. They're are few good ones out there but the Watanabe works for me.

Back