Itching For A New Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjones

Reaction score
I am getting the opportunity of a lifetime, in that I am going to be sous for an amazing chef who has been my mentor for the past two years, as she opens her new restaurant. That said, I feel it is time I finally take the leap and purchase my first true J-knife. I've been looking at various knives for months, but looking online only helps so much, and the nearest quality knife store is 5 hours away. Any help/advice/counsel from the community here is greatly appreciated.

- United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
- chef/gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
- right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
- either is fine

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
- somewhere in the 240mm/9” range

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
- no, although I’m not opposed to stainless clad

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
- $500

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
- professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
- general vegetable prep (slicing, dicing, mincing)
- herb prep
- slicing and trimming meat

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
- I am looking for my first true J-knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
- pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
- rock, walk, push-cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
- not really any issues here

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
- I want this to be my go-to knife for prep and on the line, so lighter is probably better. My Middleton is fairly light, but all my others are heavy compared to other knives I’ve handled.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
- smoother rock chopping and walking motion would be nice. I’m working on using the push-cut more, but old habits die hard.
- better food release is a plus, but not a deal breaker

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
- the longer, the better. I work 6 days a week, lunch and dinner shifts, so I am fairly hard on my knives; ideally, I want a knife I can hone at the end of each shift, and not have to take to stones but maybe once a month, if not longer.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
- wood and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
- I am teaching myself how to, but I still take mine to a pro just to be safe.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
- yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
- I have a couple stones already, but down the line - yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pst... We don't tell the newcomers about the Gengetsu restock. :justkidding:

You're not kidding. It seems every time I saw something on JKI that piqued my interest, it was sold out.

Jim, Jim, Jim. No soup for you!

If you want to prep and do line work with same knife, you prob want a 240. When I get stuck on line, kicking and screaming, I take a 180 or 210 as I only have a 12" deep board to work with. Much rather be in back making big stuff into little stuff with a 240/270

I don't see the stainless question answered. In either case the Gengetsu would be a stellar choice. Gesshin Ginga is good for a stainless laser. Gesshin Heijii merits consideration. I like Yoshikane a lot but prefer SKD stainless clad to SLD. Epicurean Edge has them as does A Frames Tokyo. Korin has a lot of the classic carbon knives. Knives and Stones is always up to interesting stuff, seems to tend towards carbon. And Maxim at JNS has the well received Toyoma (carbon) and Itinomonn (stainless and stainless clad) And he's got 15 or 20% off for another day or so.

One of the good things about buying knives now is that there are so many good choices. Some of our members treat it almost like a rental program - buy a knife, use it, sell it, buy another.

Good hunting.

And Maxim at JNS has the well received Toyoma (carbon) and Itinomonn (stainless and stainless clad) And he's got 15 or 20% off for another day or so.
Just to avoid confusion I am pretty sure JNS sale is over now, at least it's not showing any discounts for me.

EDIT: If two of us see the same I think it's over for sure. Uff I just squeezed in.

Hard not to agree with the guys about not telling about the Gengetsu to the new guy. :D
I wish I could buy one.

...Just don't walk with J-knives!!!
You'll ruin the edge so keep a beater around for that.

Hard not to agree with the guys about not telling about the Gengetsu to the new guy. :D
I wish I could buy one.

...Just don't walk with J-knives!!!
You'll ruin the edge so keep a beater around for that.

I'm working on that, and using a rock cut less as well. I just have to practice more.

+1 one the stainless clad, carbon core Gengetsu. Also there maybe just enough budget to get a custom handle for the sous chef bling (that is also functional art). That said the stock handle is easily good enough.

Another option would be a top of the range Tanaka Ironwood Western handled R2 in 240. This is a full stainless option and looks amazing. It is used by celebrity chefs like Gordon Ramsey, apparently. It will hold an edge for a very long time.

I would like to mention gengetsu too :tease:

But can't go wrong the the tanaka. R2 steel is amazing. Stay sharp for a long time and easy to sharpen. My fav line and prep knife at the moment is the shibata kotetsu. Light and nimble as well.

I'd also look at a knife in R2 (also called SG2) or SRS 15, which are stainless powder metallurgy steels and hold an edge for a long time. Not too hard to sharpen either.

Look at Shiro Kamo R2. Mine is thin behind the edge with good food release and a nice thin tip. Ryusen Blazen, Akifusa, Tanaka R2, Gesshin Kagero and Takamura Pro are all in the same premium ballpark and worth a look as well.

You could also look at Sukenari ZDP189 for extreme edge retention but I don't know how hard they are to sharpen (I've heard mixed reports).

I would counsel against running your Japanese knife over a steel/ hone. Strop it on a fine (5-8K) stone or a loaded strop (I use balsa loaded with 1 micron diamond and am continually amazed at how well 3 strops work).

Which sharpening stones do you use?

I'd also look at a knife in R2 (also called SG2) or SRS 15, which are stainless powder metallurgy steels and hold an edge for a long time. Not too hard to sharpen either.

Look at Shiro Kamo R2. Mine is thin behind the edge with good food release and a nice thin tip. Ryusen Blazen, Akifusa, Tanaka R2, Gesshin Kagero and Takamura Pro are all in the same premium ballpark and worth a look as well.

You could also look at Sukenari ZDP189 for extreme edge retention but I don't know how hard they are to sharpen (I've heard mixed reports).

I would counsel against running your Japanese knife over a steel/ hone. Strop it on a fine (5-8K) stone or a loaded strop (I use balsa loaded with 1 micron diamond and am continually amazed at how well 3 strops work).

Which sharpening stones do you use?
I have King 800, 1000, and 6000. I'm still learning though; so I take my knives to a friend who sharpens when I really need help. I use a ceramic rod for touch ups. I'll look into a strop though.

Just saw Tanaka 240's in Ginsanko back in stock. I like this a lot for prep, holds an edge forever, can take some abuse and won't break the bank. I'll use a Gengetsu at home or doing prep in a somewhat controlled environment. For restaurant prep I'll use a Tanaka.

ames has Tanaka

Takamura HSPS Pro 240 mm would be my weapon of choice here, I think

Back