Thinning & refinishing Maumasi Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheflivengood

Reaction score
So it was about time to thin this monster, The way I had Mareko Grind the knife was to make it easier to do so, Similar to a kagekiyo wide bevel. I always Sharpie my work area to start, in this case there is zero High or low spots because maumasi is a beast, but I like to see the black along the primary bevel so I know where to focus most.
IMG_5024.jpg

My Progression was JKI 220, 400s JNS 800, vitrified diamond 800, vintage aoto and I stopped there. Next I used red and grey scotch brite and flitz to clean up any scratches, with the integral its hard to hand sand/buff so patience is key. Next I used clear nail polish to mask the handle, then blue tapped over that for extra protection. I found this plastic pasta container on amazon that works well, and my etchent is 2/3 white vinegar to 1/3 Ferric Chloride. I did 3 5 Minute soaks with grey scotch bright in between, as a note I use the same 2"x1" piece of scotch brite throughout this process so it gets less aggressive over time.
IMG_5026.jpg
IMG_5029.jpg
At this point the Damascus has texture but the contrast can be better. I use a technique similar to parkerizing next, three 10 minute baths, in between the first 2 I use grey scotch brite and flitz, after that just a paper towel and flitz, and last just a damp papper towel and a lot of speed/friction. I got a really cool grey gun metal look on the 1084 and a very bright polish on the 15n20. Another interesting result is the knife did not show patina for a couple of days after this process, but finally started to rainbow today.
IMG_5030.jpg
IMG_5031.jpg
IMG_5032.jpg

Thats an amazing process. And an amaizing looking knife. I'll own one, one day you just made me decide it.

Dude... that looks outta sight. And it demystifies etching a bit to the point where I might try it.

I give you a lot of credit for attempting this with such an amazing knife. Remarkable. Are you rinsing between the baths before scotchbrite? Is the line I see the point between where you thinned and the original finish? Awesome knife!

Almost makes me regret not thinning my Maumasi.

I love my Maumasi just the way it came, but this is very impressive. It may have benefited more from thinning than mine due to its profile.

I give you a lot of credit for attempting this with such an amazing knife. Remarkable. Are you rinsing between the baths before scotchbrite? Is the line I see the point between where you thinned and the original finish? Awesome knife!

I agree, man's got guts. I'd say he did a darn good job of it though.

@cheflivengood, How many rounds of etching did you end up doing? Looks like there may be a few rounds of difference between you last and second to last photos. Keep up the good work my man!

I agree, man's got guts. I'd say he did a darn good job of it though.

@cheflivengood, How many rounds of etching did you end up doing? Looks like there may be a few rounds of difference between you last and second to last photos. Keep up the good work my man!

Yes I rinse with plenty of fresh water before touching it, and the whole knife is refinished, you can see in the first photo that the patina has washed out the pattern a bit, I use this knife daily. As far as the knife needing thinning, this is MUCH thicker than most knifes I have seen for him, I use this mostly on cooked protien where a hefty knife saves my arm energy (120# chicken 20# steak, 20# tofu a day)

@maumasifirearts 3 rounds etchent, 3 rounds parkerized ;). I think you may be right, I thought it looked good but did one last bath to darken it up and used just the paper towel, I bought some .3 micron (12k grit) paper but it didn't have an effect by hand.

:doublethumbsup: Great work with stunning and beautiful results. Mareko Maumasi's work grabbed my attention when Lucretia posted her knife on World's Most Beautiful Knife. Reality prevented me pursuing it further due to overall costs and waiting periods. I may have to adjust my priorities in life. Must have one!

Back