Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Saya

i've been playing around with the idea of leather sheaths for my knives that don't have sayas. i made a prototype for my kochi last night. not as pretty as your saya, but it does the job, and i learned quite a few lessons (i hadn't done any leather working since i summer camp, long ago).

Looks good and as you go forward your sayas will look even better.

I am surprised that not many folks try their hands at saya-making, fewer than those who try making handles.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thanks for the words of encouragement Marko, coming from a master such as your self that means alot. Rex, in my experience knives stored in leather sheaths for any amount of time tend to develop rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattorichop View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Marko, coming from a master such as your self that means alot. Rex, in my experience knives stored in leather sheaths for any amount of time tend to develop rust.
    Haha, I am not a master, I just have done it longer than you guys. Keep up working on it, and let me know if I can help you get to the next level.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I like the rustic look of it. Nice job!

That looks really great! What type of wood did you use? Kinda looks like walnut to me.. At any rate, very nice execution..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i've been playing around with the idea of leather sheaths for my knives that don't have sayas. i made a prototype for my kochi last night. not as pretty as your saya, but it does the job, and i learned quite a few lessons (i hadn't done any leather working since i summer camp, long ago).
    pics or it didn't happen?

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    That looks really great! What type of wood did you use? Kinda looks like walnut to me.. At any rate, very nice execution..
    I used a left over piece of rose wood, it was some scrap from my magnetic knife rack.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    pics or it didn't happen?
    it's an incredibly rough prototype (as marked), and not worth taking a picture of, but here it is. it's made of three pieces of leather. when i get around to making a proper one, it'll look a lot better.

I don't like the font at all, it need to be more uncial. Or maybe gothic.....
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig