Something you've been meaning to try?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
What's some ingredient you've been meaning to buy or try out, but haven't...

hominy grits
facing heaven pepper (just because the name is pretty cool)
prickly pear
durian
natto
shio koji
tempeh
seal

or maybe a particular dish or preparation?

funazushi even though it will probably destroy my poor gaikokujin stomach
birds nest soup

Dagad Phool/Kalpasi - never found it available around here....

Trehalose sugar - that just might mean take-to-work Gimbap/Maki if it does what I think it does... need to squeeze some in SOME amazon order...

Gosari - seems to be utterly unavailable here... well, the west considers it somewhat dangerous... fiddleheads, same matter ...

Blue tea (the butterfly pea based stuff)

Yuzu (juice is available but expensive)

Chinese dried watercress (have a package but never used)

All the molecular cuisine stuff....

Lye (to make ramen or pretzels)

Odd stuff that I did try: Cha Om (like), bitter melon (ermmmm... depends), various sufu/furu types (liked most), old school synthetic banana flavour (isoamyl acetate - never be worried about not finding that bottle no matter how well sealed ;) )

Dagad Phool/Kalpasi - never found it available around here....

Trehalose sugar - that just might mean take-to-work Gimbap/Maki if it does what I think it does... need to squeeze some in SOME amazon order...

Gosari - seems to be utterly unavailable here... well, the west considers it somewhat dangerous... fiddleheads, same matter ...

Blue tea (the butterfly pea based stuff)

Yuzu (juice is available but expensive)

Chinese dried watercress (have a package but never used)

All the molecular cuisine stuff....

Lye (to make ramen or pretzels)

Odd stuff that I did try: Cha Om (like), bitter melon (ermmmm... depends), various sufu/furu types (liked most), old school synthetic banana flavour (isoamyl acetate - never be worried about not finding that bottle no matter how well sealed ;) )

I bought my first container of food grade lye last week. I've found a german lady who locally bakes pretzels fresh daily, so I contacted her and she's been supplying me with laugenbroetchen. Only trouble is, it costs me $1 per bun. :( It's totally worth it, unless I can get them dialed in myself. I know one thing, I can't live without REAL German pretzel buns in my life. Neither can my Serbian neighbors, ever since I brought a bag over to them to try. :)

16114301_198084910664873_3580094406871090046_n_zps7dtlinww.jpeg

As dumb and simple as it sounds, my winter project that I haven't even tried to tackle yet, is legit crispy fried chicken. Southern USA style.

I'm big on smoking and I've got my brisket, pork, and chicken down pat on the smoker.

I need a rock solid, finger lickin' fried chicken recipe to visit once or twice a winter, when it gets real cold out and the family needs a pick-me-up.

As dumb and simple as it sounds, my winter project that I haven't even tried to tackle yet, is legit crispy fried chicken. Southern USA style.

I'm big on smoking and I've got my brisket, pork, and chicken down pat on the smoker.

I need a rock solid, finger lickin' fried chicken recipe to visit once or twice a winter, when it gets real cold out and the family needs a pick-me-up.

This... i have done a couple of batches (can't do it too often) and mucked up the brine and still playing around.

Black tri tip (making, not eating, as I've done that before....

Mu shu pork (making)

Tea soaked buttermilk fried chicken (making)

Grand cru red burgundy (drinking)

Italian and or Spanish style ham (making)

Things I've procrastinated on trying to make: definitely charcuterie - something with a whole muscle first, like bresaola or "Jewish ham" (salt cured duck or goose breast).

Authentic Oaxacan mole - I know where to get the peppers, just haven't gotten around to it.

For all the expensive food I've eaten over the years, it just came to me that I've never had real sturgeon caviar. Gotta do that next time I'm at Kokkeriet I think.

I've also never had a real gumbo.

Mole, or smoking anything... now you mention two pie in the sky projects more...

Soba +1 going to try to make it
Miso , it is done fermenting
Ramen in NY...going to Ivan ramen next moth

Carlsens kapers. Bought some, after Damage plugged them. Still in the fridge..

Lars

Whoa whoa someone's doing homemade miso? How are there no pics of this!
For all the expensive food I've eaten over the years, it just came to me that I've never had real sturgeon caviar. Gotta do that next time I'm at Kokkeriet I think.

I've also never had a real gumbo.

That makes me feel a little better about my life :D

I forgot to add, soon I will make cured egg yolk, maybe soy cured egg yolk. Bottarga rulez

Carlsens kapers. Bought some, after Damage plugged them. Still in the fridge..

Lars

Those are the only ones I buy. Don't wanna hype them too much in case they disappoint, but they are indeed absolutely the best capers in the world bar none. I put them in everything. I even put them on a pizza I made this evening, along with deer sausage and sauteed onions.

For me, they are the perfect capers after trying dozens of brands. They aren't mushy, they aren't too bitter, they aren't too salty, they aren't too sour, they are just perfectly balanced and have a nicely firm bite to them. They also have a much "fresher" taste to them than the usual jarred capers.

I'm starting to sound like some caper-autist or something, but damn.

Whoa whoa someone's doing homemade miso? How are there no pics of this!

That makes me feel a little better about my life :D

I forgot to add, soon I will make cured egg yolk, maybe soy cured egg yolk. Bottarga rulez

The never having caviar thing or the never having gumbo thing? Caviar never interested me that much. Salty fish eggs, so what? Still, gotta try it sometime just to have it added to my food reference list. Foie Gras on the other hand.... I'll eat that all day every day, as long as someone else pays for it.

I have had sturgeon caviar. Have some very well to do family members. Have also played with perigord truffles which is probably no biggie to Europeans but it's a big deal across the pond.

Foie to me is so weird. Especially not a big fan of torchon. But I guess it's an acquired taste or something. Lol we used to have... Sushi no foie gras off menu.

I've never really cared for truffles, even the very best kind. The flavor is too dominant. Too aromatic for me, and I often find it overpowering the dish. It works fine for really simple stuff like a plain risotto, or a cauliflower soup, but for anything else, it just gets in the way. Just my opinion anyway.

My favorite way to eat foie gras is not torchon, but as a seared crusty little steak-like piece cut from the whole liver. My mother won't eat foie gras if it hasn't been seared, so if I've made foie gras terrine, I have to sear her piece or she'll throw a fit. Always hurts my brain to sear terrine. Just feels wrong.

I've never really cared for truffles, even the very best kind. The flavor is too dominant. Too aromatic for me, and I often find it overpowering the dish. It works fine for really simple stuff like a plain risotto, or a cauliflower soup, but for anything else, it just gets in the way. Just my opinion anyway.

My favorite way to eat foie gras is not torchon, but as a seared crusty little steak-like piece cut from the whole liver. My mother won't eat foie gras if it hasn't been seared, so if I've made foie gras terrine, I have to sear her piece or she'll throw a fit.

What do you pan fry it with? Butter?

Nothing, I put it on a blazing hot carbon steel pan with no fat in it at all. Surface fat on the foie gras renders instantly and forms a nice crust. Marco Pierre White cooked foie gras directly on his french top in much the same manner.

[video=youtube;jzDJA3xkAEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzDJA3xkAEM[/video]

Nothing, I put it on a blazing hot carbon steel pan with no fat in it at all. Surface fat on the foie gras renders instantly and forms a nice crust. Marco Pierre White cooked foie gras directly on his french top in much the same manner.

[video=youtube;jzDJA3xkAEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzDJA3xkAEM[/video]

Great, will try that sometime, thanks

My favorite way to eat foie gras is not torchon, but as a seared crusty little steak-like piece cut from the whole liver. My mother won't eat foie gras if it hasn't been seared, so if I've made foie gras terrine, I have to sear her piece or she'll throw a fit. Always hurts my brain to sear terrine. Just feels wrong.

Yeah that's how we served it. The smell when you search it though. I really love the truffle flavour though. It is really forest-y.

some very expensive pu'er tea
foams/ISI alcohol infusions
All wines

I just smoked a steak (ribeye) today, with apple wood. I also did 1" thick slices of onions and made a weird honey mustard sauce that came out amazing. diced smoked onions, roux, red wine (cotes du rhone), water, Worcestershire, grey poupon, honey

For all the expensive food I've eaten over the years, it just came to me that I've never had real sturgeon caviar. Gotta do that next time I'm at Kokkeriet .

Sturgeon is available for order from California Caviar (http://www.californiacaviar.com/our-caviar/imported/index.php)

iirc, Caviar House & Prunier Seafood carries it on their counters, there are counters in some of the finer airports, I always walk by and drool at the one in Doha, which is the largest and best stocked Ive seen (also in JFK in US, Japan, Denmark, France, Switzerland, UK, Spain, UAE, Turkey, Germany)

I know where to get the really good stuff here in Denmark, I've just always walked past it because of the price. Would rather spend that kind of money on aged steak and foie gras. But I gotta do it sometime.

Things I've procrastinated on trying to make: definitely charcuterie - something with a whole muscle first, like bresaola or "Jewish ham" (salt cured duck or goose breast).

Authentic Oaxacan mole - I know where to get the peppers, just haven't gotten around to it.

There are seven different kinds of Oaxacan mole. Are you planning on making them all or are you thinking of mole poblano?

EDIT: Wanted to add definition of mole: From Nahuatl word mōlli, meaning sauce. A chile based sauce that is pureed and thickened with nuts or seeds.

Actually USE fresh naga jolokia or similar "killer" peppers, given they are sold commonly here in recent months ... I take plenty of heat but making culinary sense of these is another matter (coconut-based or oily dishes tend to work better with dried, and putting even run of the mill fresh thai pepper into any lean dish tends to give you something that is spicy as hell but in a harsh, not truly enjoyable way....)

I have had a tagine for over a year and have only used it once. I want to play around with it a little this year.

I make a mean roast chicken, but I feel like I am only 97% there, so I plan to play around with it a bit and nail down that last 3% to make it perfect.

I also want to do a little more with pasta this year. In the past, I make a short rib ragu that is awesome, but this is generally the only pasta I make. I want to add to that... maybe a seafood pasta - like a squid ink and maybe a solid bolognese.

for the guy that said whole hog - I've probably made 30 in the last few years. Mostly for tailgates and the occasional party. Feel free to drop a line if you want any pointers. One year I stuffed a large sow with chickens, apples and kielbasa. It was incredible.

Well, I'd like to make them all, but the one that got me started thinking about it was the black mole Rick Bayless made for the state dinner in 2010, for which I need to source some chilhuacle peppers. I found a place to get them dried, but if I need them fresh I might have to get seeds and grow them.

Ah, so guacamole = ahuacatl + molli = avocado sauce

Back