Looking for a Nakiri, please help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomsdotcom

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've recently been trying to upgrade my knife roll. I work in a high paced seafood resturant here in Seattle. I've just upgraded my Guyto to a Kikuichi Warikomi Damascus 210, but I feel like I need something else for veg and other heavy duty prep. I'd perfer not to go over $300. I'm not opposed to carbon, but I enjoy different steel types, I've got vg5, vgmax, Aeb-l. I'll admit that I'm not very experienced at sharpening so something with relatively good edge retention is a plus. Here's a few I've been considering
Moritaka
http://www.**************.com/moritaka1.html
Kohetsu
http://www.**************.com/koaosuna16.html
Rose City
https://homebutcher.com/collections/rose-city/products/1jvymn77njs87mxun8mg5w9og8am06
Nora
https://homebutcher.com/products/nora-6-5-nakiri-485?variant=29235176402
Takayuki
http://www.**************.com/satadana160.html
Takeda
http://www.**************.com/naboas16.html

Sorry for the long post, any input is appreciated!
Thanks
-Kevin
http://www.**************.com/satadana160.html

Appreciate the response, that's about $180? Any experience with shipping from Japan? I'll admit that worries me a bit

Yep around there I think with the current conversion. With Watanabe you'll pay for shipping, and I believe you'll have a standard and a faster option. Many have bought from him with no issues regarding shipping, and he communicates really well via email, for what it's worth. I'm sure others can weigh in with more direct experience on the shipping side of things.

I'd also suggest Watanabe. His charges are fair...be aware that the 165 comes with a horn ferrule while the 180 comes with plastic iirc. These are fantastic cutters. I'd also recommend looking at Carter Cutlery, I believe he's in Portland but his nakiris also cut very well.

Meant to add that Shinichi's communication is always quick and clear...makes for a very easy international transaction.

I feel like I need something else for veg and other heavy duty prep.

Have you considered a longer gyuto instead? High volume prep with a 165-180mm blade sounds like torture.

Blade length will become important with using a Nakiri in a pro kitchen. I had a 165 Carter that was a lot of fun to use at the house but to small for work. I now have a Watanabe 180 Pro and enjoy using it for prep. Had a Shig 210 that felt awkward and blocky.

I did the conversion a week or so ago for someone and before shipping the knife was right at 200USD.

Others I would like to try include the Kochi and the GGinga from Jon.

Of the knives you cited would say: Moritaka, Yawn, knife would rather rust than cut. Ko-who? Rebranded for Togo, very average knife. Takeda, probably "bigger" for my taste, could be a winner. Not familiar with others.

Go with the Watanabe 180 Nakiri. I have 165 Tanaka B2 dammy nakiri I love, but it's too short for pro stuff IMO. The Wat gets all kinds of love here. By the recommendations of everyone here it should be a lot of knife for the price. I'm getting the SS clad one for peace of mind.

It was supposed to be my next buy, but then something fun appeared at the BST and now it's again my next knife buy, just has to whait a few weeks first.

Have you considered a longer gyuto instead? High volume prep with a 165-180mm blade sounds like torture.

I have, though I think I'll pick up something like that as an addition, rather than an alternative. I also end up doing a good deal of my prep "on line" so I can't have anything too gigantic. I also happen to be blessed to not have to break down too many large vegetables

Appreciate the response, that's about $180? Any experience with shipping from Japan? I'll admit that worries me a bit

From lots of experience and given we are in the same state, you order from Watanabe on a Monday you will be cooking with the knife by the next weekend. Incredibly shipping from Japan.

I'd also suggest Watanabe. His charges are fair...be aware that the 165 comes with a horn ferrule while the 180 comes with plastic iirc. These are fantastic cutters. I'd also recommend looking at Carter Cutlery, I believe he's in Portland but his nakiris also cut very well.

Any known issues with the furrule on the 180? That'd probably be the size I'd go for. Have been looking at Carter but I've been a bit turned off by the white steel at the core.

Any known issues with the furrule on the 180? That'd probably be the size I'd go for. Have been looking at Carter but I've been a bit turned off by the white steel at the core.

You might be able to ask for a handle upgrade with Watanabe. I think others have succeeded in the past. Also, +1 to a 180mm Nakiri. 165 is more of a small home knife size.

Foody518

Primarily edge retention. I end up using poly boards at work, and I haven't used that steel in particular. These may not be particularly logical, but they are my basis for not being overly sold on

Poly boards will beat up any edge, white steel in many cases can be revived quicker/more effectively with the fine stone or strop.

Poly boards will beat up any edge, white steel in many cases can be revived quicker/more effectively with the fine stone or strop.

True true, like I said my mind isn't entirely logical. I don't have anything to justify my aversion, maybe I'm just weird o_O

FWIW, I believe he uses white 1, the fact that he used to use ao super says something.

FWIW, I believe he uses white 1, the fact that he used to use ao super says something.

The ones I were checking out just said Hitachi White Steel. I know little to nothing about most things though haha

I recall when he made the switch it was for logistical reasons, faster thruput, more readily available steel, lower failure rate or something along these lines. Not because white is inherently "better".

Thanks to everyone for their input. I didn't mention it before but this is my first real post on the forum, glad to be amongst a group of intelligent and helpful people. Looks like I'm going to be purchasing that Wantanabe from a KKF member. Looking forward to draining my bank account :| and picking up some advice and knowledge as I spend more time on here

Thanks to everyone for their input. I didn't mention it before but this is my first real post on the forum, glad to be amongst a group of intelligent and helpful people. Looks like I'm going to be purchasing that Wantanabe from a KKF member. Looking forward to draining my bank account :| and picking up some advice and knowledge as I spend more time on here

Welcome! And enjoy that knife :)

Welcome! And enjoy that knife :)

Will do! I might just end up going in to work and doing prep for everybody. I'll just tell them it's out of the kindness of my own heart haha
I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade my petty situation now though...

Any known issues with the furrule on the 180? That'd probably be the size I'd go for.
It's plastic, which turns quite a few people off (including me). There's a good chance the ferrule won't be flush with the wood part.
Watanabe's handle upgrades aren't very cheap, so a lot of people don't think they're worth it.
I got a 150 petty (which also had the plastic ferrule), which is a great knife, I like it a lot. Now I like it even better since I put a leftover handle from another knife on it.

Most J Knives are made for functionality and "pretty" is a distant consideration. My 180 came with a horn ferrule but I liked the knife so well I had it re-handled after a bit. That's not uncommon for people with knives that they like.

You should ask what your options are prior to ordering. Even if plastic the handle will work fine and it's likely you'll be the only one that knows it's plastic.

Back