Thread: 330 suji

330 suji

I am thinking about satisfying my big need (soon moving back to a country where minced meat is about the same price as Sirloin here...) for a 330 suji

Willing to go custom or "standard"

Some Qs;
    - Kiritsuke or standard tip?
    - Low tip (think Yanagi) or high?
    - Blade height at heel?

Anything else to think through before pulling the trigger?

I am a lefty, so most Yanis get really expensive otherwise i would have considered one.

Thanks

In Japanese production knives sujis are often among the heavily biased knives, usually for righties of course. So if you're a lefty like I am you might wanna look for makers that offer lefty grinds. Misono (before the big pricehike) was one of the options when I was in the market for a long suji 1-2 years ago.

I want a big suji, too...

Me too

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I want a smaller one

The one I ended up with 1-2 years ago was an old stock 370 mm carbon suji from Japanese Yahoo auctions for less than $ 200 shipped.

I have a 330. Love it. Ashi Hamono Gesshin Ginga from JKI. Very light and thin. I use it mostly for breaking down tuna loin into soku blocks and sashimi. I wish my knife bag was 2" longer though, I worry about it when carrying it around, it doesn't fit properly and I get wierd looks when carrying it by hand walking to work. oO
    (^.#)

Get one of the makers, like Dave, to make one to your specification (get those nice handles too). His suji profile looks like what you are describing.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post46546