Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Etch logo advise.

Etch logo advise.

I have never really branded my knives other than a few homemade stamps I just happen to have made for other purposes. I want to go the etch route, although I may have to commission a hot stamp of the logo for half ground/forge finish blades, not sure how an etch stencil copes with light texture.
    I've moved away from my blacksmithing business name and would like to use my surname for my sharps as it seems to click for me.
    I've been playing with some fonts and superimposing on photos.
    This is the font i'm thinking at the moment.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated, as I do struggle with the whole branding thing.

I have no advice but I wouldn't mind that logo on one of my blades.

Well thats good, it can't look to offensive then
    On BB they suggested I try and squeeze made in Hereford-Englend, but i'm struggling without making it look pants. Catcheside is a very old English name and not too common. So I don't think anyone would struggle pinning it down. Although I have a few relatives who managed to skip the borders.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    Well thats good, it can't look to offensive then
    On BB they suggested I try and squeeze made in Hereford-Englend, but i'm struggling without making it look pants. Catcheside is a very old English name and not too common. So I don't think anyone would struggle pinning it down. Although I have a few relatives who managed to skip the borders.
    Translation, perhaps?

JK.

But you should put something else on there, perhaps "Herefordshire" or "knives" or a logo.

Translation "From the windy Hill".
    I'll try and wangle something else in. I was thinking Catcheside Cutlery but its getting a bit long.
    Cheers

Personally I do not like the length of the h and the d. I would like to see them no taller than the C. I think if you centre "cutlery" in a smaller more simple text under catchside would work nicely. Just my opinion!

I kind of agree about the length of the tails on the h and d. Being limited to font i'm not sure what I can do about that, its the closest to what I want from the ones I have. But its given me an idea, I might try and find a local calligrapher to write it for me and scan that and have the stencils made from that.

There's tons of free fonts on the net, you can spend an entire day just going through.
    Apart from that, there are some very thin lines in the font you've used that could give you problems with readability if an etch doesn't come out perfect.

Your right I've just googled Calligraphy fonts, that should keep me busy for a while. I don't know much about electric etching yet but you could be right. I'm planning on getting the webbing backed ones which are meant to allow you to get finer detail. I'll see what the stencil man says.

i like it, myself. very Tolkien.