Quantcast
Is Misono UX10 Worth the Price? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Misono UX10 Worth the Price?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    A UX10 240mm gyuto(the standard by which all knives are compared)...is $338, after shipping, from Korin.

Absurd!
    UX10 240mm gyuto with grantons = $438 at JCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    UX10 240mm gyuto with grantons = $438 at JCK.
    OMG, *** are they thinking!

that is just crazy... did they make any improvements/upgrades on it? or are they just taking advantage on their popularity and the crazy "culinary" hype that's going on?

I don't think there are any improvements over the previous batches...

Anyone know where we could see their sales figures? I am curious to see if they are even capable of selling them efficiently at that price point.

After their price increase, I doubt they sell many knives at all. Just might get the odd person who searches the forums and sees how well recommended they used to be and don't realise they are stupid overpriced now. I remember hearing a few rumours about the price increase, that perhaps they didn't want Westerners buying their knives, or that they felt they should be in the same sort of price category as Masamoto.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    After their price increase, I doubt they sell many knives at all. Just might get the odd person who searches the forums and sees how well recommended they used to be and don't realise they are stupid overpriced now. I remember hearing a few rumours about the price increase, that perhaps they didn't want Westerners buying their knives, or that they felt they should be in the same sort of price category as Masamoto.
    The UX10 was in the same ballpark (perhaps even a little more) than the stainless Masamoto (VG or CT) lines even before the price hike.

The price hike was to compensate for the shift in the dollar yen exchange rate. As the dollar got cheaper, the knives became relatively more expensive in Japan, so they increased the dollar cost to keep the actual amount paid more consistent. With the vagaries of currency exchange rates it makes little sense, butt there you go.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like Misono's reason for raising their prices 30%....."because". ><
    (^.#)

Quote Originally Posted by sel1k1 View Post
    I like Misono's reason for raising their prices 30%....."because". ><
    It was explained that the higher-ups at Misono didn't like that foreigners were paying less for their knives than Japanese folks. They couldn't make it cheaper, so they had to raise the price overseas. He said he was confident that they will still sell, and there was a lot of implied message that higher prices make things look better quality.