Quantcast
Cutting/Sanding Sani-Tuff
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting/Sanding Sani-Tuff

Cutting/Sanding Sani-Tuff

My Sani-Tuff hasn't got much use in the past two years, as I have two end grains sitting on my counter top that see almost all of the action. It is a 15x20 (3/4" thick) and I've been thinking of cutting down to make a more portable 12x15 board, and probably just using the remaining piece as a replacment for my wooden(a 2x4) sink bridge.

Has anyone cut one of these before or sanded one down? I'm assuming to just use my father-in-laws guided circular saw, and then sanding with my 400, 1000 wet/dry sandpaper...sound about right?

Yep That all there is to it. You can also ease the edges with a plane or a roundover bit.

If you use it as a sink bridge, it will provide give under the stones, which will lend to convexity, and also sani-tuffs tend to deform if unsupported.

Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    If you use it as a sink bridge, it will provide give under the stones, which will lend to convexity, and also sani-tuffs tend to deform if unsupported.

+1. I think the rubber is too bendy for that application.
    Turn that cut off into an industrial grade mag-strip.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have cut one (circular table saw) but never sanded it. Just try to keep temp down and it'll be just fine. I beveled the edges with a vertical belt sander and that worked just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

? Not sure about when its cut down into a thinner strip, but right now my 3/4" sani-tuff board is a tank (heavy/solid) and there is almost no flex/give at all...do you have experience with a thinner one?

+ Reply to Thread