Is Misono UX10 Worth the Price?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Recently the price of the Misono UX10 went up and I want to know if it is still worth the knew price. The 210mm Gyuto is about 240.00. I have read a ton about these knives and the seemed extremely popular a few years ago. If they are no longer worth it does anyone have an suggestions of a knife that is better than the Misono?

I totally know why you asked. It is a heavier knife, and withstands serious abuse. If the price were left where it was, I"d totally have suggested you get one.

But at the price it's at now, you should probably get something else.

ux10 was barely worth the old price. at the new price, most certainly not.

Every time I see one of these threads, I remember how close I came to buying a Misono as my first japanese knife. I've since used, fixed and sharpened several and every time, I feel good all over again for never buying one.

Every time I see one of these threads, I remember how close I came to buying a Misono as my first japanese knife. I've since used, fixed and sharpened several and every time, I feel good all over again for never buying one.

ya i owned a 270mm sweedish sujihiki and it wasn't bad. i would compare it to the fujiwara in profile and usability. the only difference was a chunk of change and the misono was muuuuuuch more reactive

That's funny TK. I, on the other hand have gone back to my Misono moly, since lending out my Rodrigue, and it's as much fun to use as a Carter IP funy in the same length.
I think Misono had some great deals before, but like Vertigo said, at their current prices, I'll take a pass. The only exception I can think of is if my moly were to get snapped in half/lost/whatever, I'd pick another one up.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad knife and I have less experience with the moly (I sharpened one maybe a year ago or so.) but looking back at the progression of my disease, I don't feel there is a niche it would have filled better than one of the blades I already have. Lefty, I'm a little surprised you like yours as well as a Carter but to each their own. They have nice geometry and profile and sharpen easily for stailess and have nice thick handles.

I guess I should explain myself a bit clearer. I love my moly, and it's as nice to use as a Carter, in that it's laser thin (I guess I did tweak it a bit), there is virtually no stiction, and it gets that nice grippy sharp feeling I love so much, in no time flat. BUT, I pick up the Carters I currently have hanging o my rack and look at them, and julienne, dice and brunoise the air like a mofo. The Carters make me think, "ok...I get extra cash in February, so maybe I'll pick another Carter up then", and the Misono just hangs there waiting to plow through whatever it is I'm making. Part of me wishes my moly was carbon, but the fact that it isn't can be very nice as well.

Remind me. What was the price hike? Does the semi-annual Korin sale compensate for it?

240mm Suji with dragon:
pre-hike: $126.90
post-hike: $195

I bought one JUST before the price-hike, but because I bought a bunch of knives at that time, I had to return it. I now regret it because I could really use a carbon suji at 240mm. Oh well. I'm DEFINITELY not going to buy it now.

wow... that's a huge price hike.... there's no way I'm getting a ux10 with 195 bucks...

Yeah, the price hike hit shortly after I started really getting into J-knives. I'd been hearing good stuff about the UX10s but my finances weren't too great at the time so I tried to keep things cheaper and maybe try one out later. Now there's no way though--Korin currently lists a 240 UX10 suji at $306! :bigeek:

A UX10 240mm gyuto(the standard by which all knives are compared)...is $338, after shipping, from Korin.

Absurd!

that is just crazy... did they make any improvements/upgrades on it? or are they just taking advantage on their popularity and the crazy "culinary" hype that's going on?

I don't think there are any improvements over the previous batches...

Anyone know where we could see their sales figures? I am curious to see if they are even capable of selling them efficiently at that price point.

After their price increase, I doubt they sell many knives at all. Just might get the odd person who searches the forums and sees how well recommended they used to be and don't realise they are stupid overpriced now. I remember hearing a few rumours about the price increase, that perhaps they didn't want Westerners buying their knives, or that they felt they should be in the same sort of price category as Masamoto.

After their price increase, I doubt they sell many knives at all. Just might get the odd person who searches the forums and sees how well recommended they used to be and don't realise they are stupid overpriced now. I remember hearing a few rumours about the price increase, that perhaps they didn't want Westerners buying their knives, or that they felt they should be in the same sort of price category as Masamoto.

The UX10 was in the same ballpark (perhaps even a little more) than the stainless Masamoto (VG or CT) lines even before the price hike.

The price hike was to compensate for the shift in the dollar yen exchange rate. As the dollar got cheaper, the knives became relatively more expensive in Japan, so they increased the dollar cost to keep the actual amount paid more consistent. With the vagaries of currency exchange rates it makes little sense, butt there you go.

I like Misono's reason for raising their prices 30%....."because". ><

I like Misono's reason for raising their prices 30%....."because". ><

It was explained that the higher-ups at Misono didn't like that foreigners were paying less for their knives than Japanese folks. They couldn't make it cheaper, so they had to raise the price overseas. He said he was confident that they will still sell, and there was a lot of implied message that higher prices make things look better quality.

Latest posts

Back