Scaling recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
I have a vegan cake recipe that I have used successfully in the past. However I need to scale it up for a family event. They are interested in a single big cake than multiple small ones which I have used in the past. What are the pitfalls I should be weary of? Can someone guide me on what I need to do regards temps and times?

Here is the recipe for reference

www.notquitenigella.com/2013/02/18/vanilla-vegan-cake-mango-passionfruit/amp.html

Smaller items need to cook at a higher temperature while larger need to cook at a bit lower and longer time...just a basic rule though so I'm not aware of any type charts or anything.

Depending on how much you're upscaling this recipe, you will need to decrease the cooking temperature by 10 to 20 degrees C and anticipate longer cooking up to 20 % or more. How big is the cake pan?

Make sure to double check the ratio on your leavening agent and also ensure that you have a recipe using weight as opposed to volume measurements. Weight measurements are more reproducible as they tend to be more accurate. One thing to note as the scale of your baking project increases is that things like relative humidity will begin to take effect on your final product. If you're using even a couple kilos of flour on a very humid day it will be noticeable. I mention this only because I come from a very very big family. Best of luck!

Depending on how much you're upscaling this recipe, you will need to decrease the cooking temperature by 10 to 20 degrees C and anticipate longer cooking up to 20 % or more. How big is the cake pan?

I am looking at 2 or 3 times the recipe. I need to see which pans I will have available.

Make sure to double check the ratio on your leavening agent and also ensure that you have a recipe using weight as opposed to volume measurements. Weight measurements are more reproducible as they tend to be more accurate. One thing to note as the scale of your baking project increases is that things like relative humidity will begin to take effect on your final product. If you're using even a couple kilos of flour on a very humid day it will be noticeable. I mention this only because I come from a very very big family. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tip regarding humidity :) not sure I understand the leavening agent bit. You mean make sure I double the agent, If i am doing double the amount?

Back