Need My Gyuto Fixed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewH12

Reaction score
Hello Forums!

I recently decided to try my hand at thinning my Masamoto VG Gyuto.. it didn't work out to say the least. So I need a recommendation for who can fix it properly as well as quickly, keep in mind I live an hour away from JKI, so if Jon is great then I'll have him do it. Further, I need someone to properly explain to me how to do this so I can do it myself in the future. Thank you in advance to anyone that responds.

Hello Forums!

I recently decided to try my hand at thinning my Masamoto VG Gyuto.. it didn't work out to say the least. So I need a recommendation for who can fix it properly as well as quickly, keep in mind I live an hour away from JKI, so if Jon is great then I'll have him do it. Further, I need someone to properly explain to me how to do this so I can do it myself in the future. Thank you in advance to anyone that responds.

An hour away from Jon? Your choice is clear.

alright then. Where can I learn to do it properly for future reference?

I believe Jon also teaches sharping at his shop, give him a call.

Concept

[video=youtube;3jsTtnidY3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsTtnidY3w[/video]

Demonstration

[video=youtube;twP_05UEHIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twP_05UEHIM[/video]

Yeah, but if Andrew is able and Jon is willing, keeping in mind Andrew is looking for swift action and not months of trial and error, then getting some help or superviced training from a guy like Jon would be great stuff for sure..

Lars

i dont care what my knife looks like as long as i can cut an onion or a carrot without my knife wedging. i care about performance, anything else is just an added bonus. @Lars you're 100% correct, i dont want to perform trial and error over the course of who knows how long especially on a $200 knife. Sounds like Jon is my guy. if only JKI isnt closed on the days i have off work

Not the hijack this thread but I seriously am envious of folks that live anywhere near a good knife shop. You would think that being in Chicago we'd have something of note.

Of course, consider the damage to the household budget I'm doing just through mail order, maybe it's for the best after all.

Not the hijack this thread but I seriously am envious of folks that live anywhere near a good knife shop. You would think that being in Chicago we'd have something of note.

Of course, consider the damage to the household budget I'm doing just through mail order, maybe it's for the best after all.

Sorta funny story along those lines. I've bought so much stuff from Jon but never have been to his store. High school buddy of mine wanted good knives for his wife and was messaging me on Facebook. We grew up in NJ but he happened to move out to CA and works 20 minutes from JKI. I said I was envious and to GO. Little while later he's messaging me from JKI saying "this guy is awesome" and how beautiful his shop is. Lucky *******.

Take this with a grain of salt: when thinning, your knife is going to look pretty rough and beaten up. My recommendation if you are really wanting to learn... travel down to visit Jon, buy another knife and get some in person tips if possible from Jon on thinning, go back home use the new knife while working on fixing your Masamoto taking your own sweet time. Thinning is a great thing to learn. I like to thin then use to check where I am at, thin more if needed, check... before going back to clean up the mess I made while thinning. Cleaning it up takes a lot of time so I make sure I am happy with my thinning job before I work on the aesthetics.

Cheers,
rj

Can you explain about how it doesn't cut well? Does it cut better/worse than it did before you thinned it? Does it cut poorly all along the blade or just in one area? Pics?

Don't stress it, I'd try to figure it out myself and then once you've had a bit more work on it go from there...if better, keep working on it; if not, figure out why and go from there. Everybody here that's done any work on their own knives had to learn how to do it at some point, just need to keep at it and you'll have some badass cutters in no time. You can always take it in to have it fixed and you're fortunate to have such a great resource so close by but a little frustration can easily be worked through and may just save you a trip. Alternatively, instead of your next knife purchase, buy a one on one in person lesson from Jon, likely be some of the best money you'll have spent on knives and the skill will carry forward.

I will post some pictures shortly, currently playing army men with my little brother. As far as the cutting performance goes it will still wedge just as bad as before, this time however it sort of steers randomly. Tip work sucks even though I've definitely included that section of the knife in the thinning process. What I'm confused about is why it's so unpredictable if I've (at least tried) to thin it as evenly as possible. First 1/2in along the entire blade will cut fine aside from the tip, once my knife goes deeper into product it starts to wedge. and you're also right, this is horribly frustrating to deal with, also quite nerve wracking when a few mistakes could do some real damage to my knife. thanks for the advice from everyone thus far, keep it coming

I would visit Jon with knife in hand. If I could get a lesson I would. Pretty sure you could get a question answered.

And an hour drive? Can't be more than a 10 min walk.:cool:

How do you post pictures on here?

First host them to a site like imgur.com

Then copy the Direct link (make sure you select direct link from the drop down menu)

Come back here and click on the "insert images" icon (looks like a picture of a tree)

Paste that direct link into the box that pops up and hit ok

Option B:

Become a site supporter and you can simply upload them from your computer and/or device

Here you go

image.jpg

image.jpg

i dont care what my knife looks like as long as i can cut an onion or a carrot without my knife wedging. i care about performance, anything else is just an added bonus. @Lars you're 100% correct, i dont want to perform trial and error over the course of who knows how long especially on a $200 knife. Sounds like Jon is my guy. if only JKI isnt closed on the days i have off work

you're only off on thursdays? if not, i'm there every other day (including weekends). Right now, I have a huge sharpening backlog, but if you're not in a rush, we can set up a time where you can come in and i can show you the entire process start to finish so you can see how it works. I might need a couple of weeks before i can do that though.

Jon, you've once again shown that you are a legend! If I lived an hour away, I'd be taking a day off work to take up this offer. :doublethumbsup:

now I just feel silly, I thought JKI was closed on sundays. Jon whenever I can take you up on this offer I most certainly will, I would love nothing more than to be taught proper sharpening and thinning from you in person

Latest posts

Back