Knives & Stones Hinoura Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I am very pleased (and somewhat unexpected) that I received a small delivery of Mitsumi Hinoura knives. Classic Sanjo finish with the burnt chestnut handle / horn ferrule.
This time around they are all White 2 with iron clad in Migaki (Polished) finish.

I will follow up with the specs.

Hope you like them :)

http://www.knivesandstones.com/hinoura-1/

Sweet! I got one of the black Friday ones with an ebony and horn handle even though I was on knife buying hiatus, and I don't regret spending the money at all. I think the burnt chestnut handles are awesome too. Cheers!

I love their HT on the white 2 feels a lot crisper than others

Lovely knife for the natural stone and polish enthusiasts too. Ok.. I'm done being James' shill.

those look sweet. but serious question, when are you going to start offering plain ho buffalo horn handles? even your logo has one. i think you would make a lot of people happy if you can find a source for both d-shape and octo styles.

These look nice. Is the wide bevel concave, flat or convex? Also, if I may ask - how wide is the bevel (say half way between the tip and the heel) and how thick is the knife at the shinogi line?

Sweet! I got one of the black Friday ones with an ebony and horn handle even though I was on knife buying hiatus, and I don't regret spending the money at all. I think the burnt chestnut handles are awesome too. Cheers!

Ard these the same blades? How's the grind?

At the heel of mine it's 51 mm tall with the bevel 16 mm. I put a metal ruler against the bevel and there is almost no daylight that shows so seems flat to very slightly concave but my reference (cheap metal ruler) is possibly not 100% straight and flat. 2.23 mm thick at the shinogi both at the heel and halfway to the tip.

From looking at the new ones at James site looks the same blade, same finish and kanji. He can let us know for sure though. I haven't used it tons but my impression is that it's a very nice wide bevel all rounder in my opinion. Haven't sharpened yet, just left the ootb edge which is pretty good.

Dang, I want one.
At the heel of mine it's 51 mm tall with the bevel 16 mm. I put a metal ruler against the bevel and there is almost no daylight that shows so seems flat to very slightly concave but my reference (cheap metal ruler) is possibly not 100% straight and flat. 2.23 mm thick at the shinogi both at the heel and halfway to the tip.

From looking at the new ones at James site looks the same blade, same finish and kanji. He can let us know for sure though. I haven't used it tons but my impression is that it's a very nice wide bevel all rounder in my opinion. Haven't sharpened yet, just left the ootb edge which is pretty good.

James, are the hinoura KU hammer finished knives the same as the polished (migaki) versions? Like, same measurements and weight, handle but w diff finish?

Profile is quite similar, but the hammered version is heavier (217g) than the polished version (195g). The choil also shows the difference.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1496205398.699839.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1496205412.516343.jpg

Back