Mexican cookbook advice sought

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
I'm looking to add to my Mexican cookbooks—currently I have just three: La Parilla by Reed Hearon; Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless; and Essential Mexican by Diane Kennedy. The bulk of my cookbooks are for Asian, European and Southern cuisines.

Recently Truly Mexican by Roberto Santibanez caught my eye, but I've not looked at it closely. Does any of you KKF-ers have it—how do you like it? How would you rate it among the vast number of Mexican cookbooks out there?

Not interested in an introductory book on Mexican cuisine—but rather a book to take my deeper into the cuisine. Open to any recommendations, opinions. Particularly keen on traditional Mexican stews, soups, etc.

I'm looking to add to my Mexican cookbooks—currently I have just three: La Parilla by Reed Hearon; Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless; and Essential Mexican by Diane Kennedy. The bulk of my cookbooks are for Asian, European and Southern cuisines.

Recently Truly Mexican by Roberto Santibanez caught my eye, but I've not looked at it closely. Does any of you KKF-ers have it—how do you like it? How would you rate it among the vast number of Mexican cookbooks out there?

Not interested in an introductory book on Mexican cuisine—but rather a book to take my deeper into the cuisine. Open to any recommendations, opinions. Particularly keen on traditional Mexican stews, soups, etc.

Maybe not quite what you are asking for but a suggestion I would have is to check out "Tacos, Tortas and Tamales" by Roberto Santibanez. He does a real good job of hitting some of the "street style" food of Mexico. Another suggestion would be "Paletas" by Gerson. We hit those recipes pretty hard when the summer rolls around with the heat.

You have the book "Mexico from the inside out" by Enrique Olvera, he's an amaizng person (worked with him and cosmes chef last year for 10 days) and the books takes traditional and non traditional mexican dishes and explains them to the core.

Forgot one..... "Hugo Ortega's Street Food of Mexico". This is another go to.....

Maybe not quite what you are asking for but a suggestion I would have is to check out "Tacos, Tortas and Tamales" by Roberto Santibanez. He does a real good job of hitting some of the "street style" food of Mexico. Another suggestion would be "Paletas" by Gerson. We hit those recipes pretty hard when the summer rolls around with the heat.

Thanks for the suggestion—though really looking for something that goes deeper into traditional stews, moles, etc. I've been looking around, David Sterling's "Yucatan" cookbook may fit the bill.

You have the book "Mexico from the inside out" by Enrique Olvera, he's an amaizng person (worked with him and cosmes chef last year for 10 days) and the books takes traditional and non traditional mexican dishes and explains them to the core.

Just took a look at it on Amazon per your suggestion—beautifully designed and photographed! Adding to my list of ones to check out in person—along with Yucatan by David Sterling.

I always find something worth taking another look at in Patricia Quintana's Cuisine of the Water Gods. It's an oldy, but there's a lot in there.

Back