Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handle for Tanaka r2

Holy smokes that's nice! Pretty dang awesome for only your second handle?!

Great shape, and appropriately proportioned. Looks awesome! What did you go with for the finish?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

That blue looks awesome surreal

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Great shape, and appropriately proportioned. Looks awesome! What did you go with for the finish?
    I haven't finished it yet. I have pure tung oil but am hesitant to use it. You have any recommendations

I use Danish oil followed by wax, more because it's quicker and more forgiving. I think you're supposed to cut the first few applications of tung with a thinner for better adsorption. Also, it takes forever to fully harden, but gives you that nice, wet look. Once cured, you may have to clean up the finish a bit with 0000. It's probably a superior finish, just takes patience.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Patience is exactly what I don't have.

I've been using a tung oil finish which is an oil/varnish mixture that works/dries quicker than real 100% tung oil. It can also build up a very small surface layer depending on how you use it, i.e. like a varnish would. If you ignore the instructions then you can build a really glossy surface coat that seems to never dry, don't ask me how I know... A couple of common brands are Watco tung oil finish and Minwax tung oil finish.

After the tung oil finish then I use wax, so similar to No ChoP! except he uses Danish oil. Tung oil finish, teak oil finish, and Danish oil finish are all similar, oil/varnish mixtures (penetrating oils and polymerizingdrying oils and resins) with chemicals like odorless mineral spirits and whatever to speed drying. With the oil finish and wax, I've gotten decent luster on both non-stabilized and stabilized woods, though some woods are supposed to be okay without the oil finish (pro stabilized woods and some closed grain oily woods).

Cool handle!!!

COOL!!!