• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Yoshiaki Fujiwara Kurouchi 180mm Nakiri (Yes I know it's a Kato''')

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yea folks, I'm combining my love of Nakiri's with a desire to try a few knives from the master Kiyoshi Kato. I found a few different variations on these on the JNS site so I know he spent some time on this profile. Can only hope he did a better job than the Shig I have.

So, open your drawers, dust off this poor neglected thing and give it a chance to see the light and some action in a new home.

I understand they actually were done in 150mm, 165mm, and 180mm so I'd be happy to try any size.

Thanks for viewing.

I have a 180 and I have have found that its the perfect nakiri for my tastes. Perhaps I could be convinced to bring it along for you to inspect when we meet up on Saturday. :)

I recently picked one up on the B/S/T Sorry! :) Not willing to let it go though!

can you post measurements?

It's gonna be from heel to tip, It's 185mm, and at heel it's 53mm. from handle to tip it's 199mm. thickness at heel is .6mm. It's the workhorse one!

180mm, dead flat and a super heavy weight...... effortlessly goes through anything. After using this one, nakiris aren't even on my radar any more.

Sheeeeeeyit... just when I thought I was done wanting new stuff

May I ask how much does the 180 version weights? I am considering to get a nakiri in the future, but would probably prefer a 'normal' weight one.

May I ask how much does the 180 version weights? I am considering to get a nakiri in the future, but would probably prefer a 'normal' weight one.

Hey Matus, I think the nakiri at 180 is ideally heavier as it is suited to larger size vegetable. Also, it's an ideal push chopping shape so power (height) and weight are useful. Thinner nakiri are also good but for finer work and usually better in the 165mm and shorter height. Although any delicate work is usually substitutable with a petty or smaller 180 Gyuto.

For me, I went super sized nakiri at 210, tall, heavy and awesome for all vegetables. My 180 Gyuto is left for delicate work. And I have a 240 Gyuto for slicing, proteins and general all round work.

Just some thoughts so that knife types don't overlap in use.

Sigh. It seems like I've drummed up more interest/competition.

It is even possible to custom order one of these? I don't mind waiting if I know for sure one is coming.

If BST sent internationally to the UK I'd have beaten VancouverGuy to it... I think.

I was lucky enough to snag one off BST- 185mm long heal to tip, and 53mm tall. It is a KU variant with the workhorse kanji on back. Afraid I can't give you a weight on it..

For what it's worth, I definitely like it more than a Konosuke SD Nakiri and Shigefusa KU Nakiri I have. I think the extra weight and being slightly over sized really helps it out. Especially given your personal proclivity for nakiri, I'd be interested to hear your take on it after playing some with ChicagoHawkie's.

Met up with ChicagoHawkie last Saturday. Nice guy, even brought his Kato KU Nakiri for me to ogle at. Didn't get to cut anything with it, but just from handling it I can see it's a well made knife.

Of course I can't tell just by looking at the blade, but he said it's one of his favorites and has good food release. We chatted for a bit, obviously he's been at this knife thing for awhile.

So now I have a Shig 210 to play with. My Kato quest continues...

Congratulations on the Shig and no doubt a Kato to follow!

Back