Tanaka Ginsan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know about the availability of Tanaka ginsan nakiris or santokus? I see that metalmaster used to carry them, but they are no longer made. Do any other lesser known vendors have old stock? I'd really like to get my hands on one, I'm just not sure if it's possible at this point.

If not, I'm curious how his treatment of vg-10 compares to the ginsan. I have a 240 ginsan gyuto that I love, and would like to add a smaller knife to the arsenal for those around me that don't like large knives. If the vg-10 is comparable, is metalmaster my only option? I'd prefer Nashiji finish and stainless steel is a must. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Brew I have had G3 & VG-10 versions. Both Nashiji 240mm gyuto. To look at the blades cannot tell them apart. Tall in the heel, high bevels, thin behind the edge. I was informed buy Metalmaster that Tanaka using VG-10 instead of G3 with the pear finish knives.

The only difference I noticed is the VG-10 slightly harder to remove burr with my one second sweep. Couple strops on newsprint takes care of any residual burr. It is the best VG-10 I have used hardened to 62. Think Tanaka able to bring out the best with that steel.

Brew I have had G3 & VG-10 versions. Both Nashiji 240mm gyuto. To look at the blades cannot tell them apart. Tall in the heel, high bevels, thin behind the edge. I was informed buy Metalmaster that Tanaka using VG-10 instead of G3 with the pear finish knives.

The only difference I noticed is the VG-10 slightly harder to remove burr with my one second sweep. Couple strops on newsprint takes care of any residual burr. It is the best VG-10 I have used hardened to 62. Think Tanaka able to bring out the best with that steel.

Thanks for the input. Do you by chance have any idea how long it usually takes Tanaka to release new stock? Metalmaster only has the vg-10 in damascus currently and I would much prefer the nashiji finish.

Thanks for the input. Do you by chance have any idea how long it usually takes Tanaka to release new stock? Metalmaster only has the vg-10 in damascus currently and I would much prefer the nashiji finish.

To get the cheap ones must check out Metalmaster he is often out of stock, then when Mr. Tanaka makes some more knives he gets them in.

James knives from Australia rounds the sharp edges on the spine & choil. His handle is an upgrade esp. the ebony at a reasonable price.

The gyuto's I got from metalmaster had right hand D handles with Ho wood and real Horn. Rounding the spine & choil is easy if you have a vise. I like to treat the Ho wood also.

I'm curious what it is about the nashiji finish that you prefer over the damascus. As I understand, Tanaka's damascus-clad knives tend to be ground a little thinner overall, but I'm not aware of all the differences.

I'm curious what it is about the nashiji finish that you prefer over the damascus. As I understand, Tanaka's damascus-clad knives tend to be ground a little thinner overall, but I'm not aware of all the differences.

They're completely different knives...the nashiji is a wide beveled knife while the damascus is not. They are both excellent cutters. I believe the damascus clad b2 is ground by Shigeki and I don't know it for a fact but pretty sure the others are ground by other people.

Nashiji finish is on knives made of ginsanko, dammy on VG-10? Thats enough reason to prefer Nashiji.

Nashiji finish is on knives made of ginsanko, dammy on VG-10? Thats enough reason to prefer Nashiji.

You mean the damascus cladding might rust, for example?

They're completely different knives...the nashiji is a wide beveled knife while the damascus is not. They are both excellent cutters. I believe the damascus clad b2 is ground by Shigeki and I don't know it for a fact but pretty sure the others are ground by other people.

Oh, I see. So it's more a matter of the blade geometry of the nashiji ginsan/vg10 knives being more desirable than that of the damascus knives?

More desirable if that is your preference. I like the dammy blue 2 best of what I've tried. They're both excellent cutters, again only a matter of what you enjoy using.

I've not tried any of his VG-10 but believe he has both wide bevel nashiji and damascus available.

Yes I was referring to the Nashiji VG10, the blade looks exactly the same as the Ginsanko. I don't know where James got the G3 blades with ebony handles I was informed that the Nashiji are all VG10 now.

As I said in my ginsanko product description, Tanaka-san was able to get a small batch of ginsako material and I secured all of them. I got all of them as blades only and handle is installed here in sydney.

Ginsan has the kanji "秀之作”

Back