Bloc Poisson butcher block review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilgawd

Reaction score
Hi

Taught id share my new toy I got . Its coming from https://www.blocpoisson.com/ it's a one-man shop in Dunham,Quebec , he does all kinds of woodworking like chairs and tables .
So I had originally ordered a 15x 20 x 2 1/2" walnut end grain block with angles and feet like the above .Since this was a custom order and with Christmas craziness he told me it would be done by the end of January . Problem is last week he contacted me and tolm me he did it square .... Not a huge deal as I was debating which look I prefer. He did offer to correct it but I just told him to send it as is.

BP-04_noyer+noir.jpg

Package came with tracking numbers and very well packed ; block was in some "Saran wrap" and covered in newspaper "ball" . He did put some attention to the corner and folded them in a way that even if package get handle very roughly it wouldn't get damage. The block comes with an initial beeswax coating.

So without further ado , here the beast after Boo`s mystery oil + Board cream , this thing kept on drinking the oil !!
( sorry for the quality of the pictures , it was either too sunny or too dim in my kitchen )

SkFOab5.jpg
i05zth8.jpg
y5duzJd.jpg

First impression :
Well made board with a little flaw , if you look at the first picture on the left bottom side ( rows 2 and 3) , you can see some glue , it seems like he didn't clamp the block enough . This is cosmetic and not a deal breaker but hey Ive waited 3 months for it so... :)

Beautiful board and IMHO one of the best cutting surfaces for good quality knives. I'm always shocked to see how many maple and bamboo boards there are out there.

Back