Bird's beak parers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMel

Reaction score
Does anyone still use them?? And how the heck do you sharpen them??

Haha. I just asked this a few months ago. I use a ceramic rod and hope it never has a chip...

I've sharpened one before on the edges of my stones. Actually not all that hard, but still annoying.

Now where did I put that.........

Lol.. I'm asking cause I've just been asked to sharpen a co-workers bird's beak and have no idea where to begin lol

Does anyone still use them?? And how the heck do you sharpen them??

haha! I was thinking of posting this exact question earlier today. I have a paring knife that I have used for years. I use it for peeling potatoes to carving wooden spoons. I can never easily sharpen the damn thing. there is always a section you miss. has anyone ever come up with a better way to sharpen them? Thanks for asking this question.

who is still turning veggies these days??

just kidding, the last place i worked we had to turn some stuff and i hated it. i just would buy a $3 piece of junk and throw it out after a month or two and just buy another. i feel the same way about serrated knives, just buy cheap and throw them out when they get dull

the good thing about the birds beaks is that because they dont touch the cutting board, they dont dull quickly

How about some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel? Dont need a full grit progression. Clamp the handle to the edge of table, then hold the dowel on each end and pull it along the edge.

sheffield_knife_grinder.jpg

I love birdsbeaks. One of my most used knives. I just buy cheap Victorinox ones and throw them once they dull... why would you try to sharpen one?

I love birdsbeaks. One of my most used knives. I just buy cheap Victorinox ones and throw them once they dull... why would you try to sharpen one?

Cause they do not come sharp ootb?? I don't know cause I don't use them..

I received a Tojiro bird's beak for free with a purchase long ago, and I use it to open up packaging, etc.

To sharpen, I taped wet/dry sandpaper to a rounded surface (I use a wide coffee can) and it works pretty well.

Latest posts

Back