EGGS. simple right?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i cant handle most diner scrambled eggs. over cooked, watery, dense..i wont even try if it is in a hotel, steamer tray being served as part of the continental breakfast. no thanks.

i love cooking a fluffy, rich, moist pile of scrambled eggs. big curds. hell, i eat it for dinner usually. over a toasted bagel, side salad, glass of wine. done.

a great omelette? yum. i do a tomato and avocado one for dinner as well. just dont over cook it.

and soft boiled? poached? i love them..i do find local restaurants doing a great poached egg. i have some homemade mexican chorizo in the deep freeze..this weekend. i am busting that out.

you an egg fan?

I have tried to make an omurice omlete that slides open like this:
[video=youtube;Uu5zGHjRaMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu5zGHjRaMo[/video]
but still have not gotten the hang of it. I guess it helps if you make twenty or thirty of them a day.

I hate eggs. I hate the smell, I hate the taste, and I hate the consistency.

Still, I've done my best to learn how to cook them well in case a guest asks for one. Other than that, I only use them for baking, or yolks for carbonara, bearnaise, etc.

Scrambled, over easy, over hard, sunny side up, poached and (badum) basted.

My favorite way to cook an egg is basted. I worked as a short order line cook during college and covered breakfasts both days during the weekend. I have the art of basting eggs nailed. Seldom order eggs while going out because very few cooks know how to baste an egg well.

Toast covered with good Irish butter dipped in warm runny egg yolk is a solid reason for getting up on weekends (along with bacon of course).

Also, no lace. If you have lace, your pan is too hot. Makes me nuts.

Not a fan of over easy or over hard but love them scrambled (not overdone) as well.

Have not yet mastered the omlete. Not sure if I ever will.

I disliked cooking eggs for a long time because I had negative associations with working brunch shifts. I haven't worked brunch in a couple years & one of my neighbors has more eggs than they can deal with so I've been eating a lot lately.

This is my current food kick:

- Fry up some rice in sesame oil (I could drink Kadoya brand). Once it's crisped throw in a (small) half onion fine diced, some minced garlic, and then a couple tbsp of homemade chili oil (szechuan peppercorns, gochugaru, dried japanese chile peppers). Crisp up some more, a few tbsp of shirodashi, cook down and then place in a bowl. Top with sesame seeds. In the same pan then I'll cook two eggs over-easy (once it's flipped it basically goes right into the bowl). Mix together and enjoy.

I could eat this every day and I basically have been. It's quick, easy, delicious, and one pan.

I love eggs made well. Eggs made poorly are somewhere between disappointing and truly foul. I rarely order them at a restaurant because I've rarely gotten good ones at restaurants, although I have also found that they seem to be better at poaching them than any other method of cooking them. I'm totally with ya, Boom, on the dense, watery scrambled eggs in buffet lines... ugh! Vile.

I have to disagree with TheCaptain, tho. I love the lace around eggs fried over high heat. The trick is getting the fringe to crisp up before the yolk is overcooked. Not easy, but I love the little bit of crunch as a counterpoint to the unctuous yolks. Yummy!

I love eggs. We have them about 5 days a week for breakfast.

My absolute favourite is using a hot (200-220c), cast iron pan with plenty of oil. Throw them in and wait for the crispness paired with a deep golden, runny yolk. Freshly ground salt and pepper, or skip the salt and season with freshly grated parmigianno.

Heaven.

I do scrambled eggs often. Start on low heat until curds start forming then turn up the heat until there's not much liquid left in the pan. My 2 year old has eaten 4 eggs in one sitting.

I eat eggs everyday after the gym.
I'll take them almost any way but raw!

Favorite is shirred but enjoy them most ways other than poorly done:)

Still, I've done my best to learn how to cook them well in case a guest asks for one. Other than that, I only use them for baking, or yolks for carbonara, bearnaise, etc.

I'm so pleased to hear I'm not the only one. Seems you're not supposed to admit such a thing if you're serious about cooking.
Still, I have deep respect for egg cookery. Not many foods are as profoundly affected by a 1° change in temperature.

Ditto. I never really understood the whole egg thing either. In the rare occasion I do eat eggs on their own, they're just there to keep the bacon and cheese together. :)

I have tried to make an omurice omlete that slides open like this:
but still have not gotten the hang of it. I guess it helps if you make twenty or thirty of them a day.

I've been working on my classic French omlettes lately, a la the classic Pepin video: [video=youtube;s10etP1p2bU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU[/video]

I've been getting them nice and runny/soft on the inside but can't quite get them to that soft pillow like and cut open oozy stage I see in all the Japanese omurice videos. Might be my pan choice as I refuse to use one of those non-stick teflon pans. Before that I didn't really like omelettes and it was always fried runny eggs in a steaming hot cast iron.

Tamago kake gohan for me please.

Been meaning to make shakshouka. Not sure if spelling correctly

I might be in the minority here but I really enjoy poached eggs. I essentially make a Benedict style breakfast with
Whatever I have laying around(although I'm never gonna do hollandaise at the house). Toasted muffin+veg+protein+egg and maybe cheese if it's appropriate.

Let us not forget:

Do you like
green eggs and ham

I do not like them,
Sebastian-I-am.
I do not like
green eggs and ham.

Would you like them
Here or there?

I would not like them
here or there.
I would not like them
anywhere.
I do not like
green eggs and ham.
I do not like them,
Sebastian-I-am

Would you like them
in a house?
Would you like them
with a mouse?

I do not like them
in a house.
I do not like them
with a mouse.
I do not like them
here or there.
I do not like them
anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sebastian-I-am.

Would you eat them
in a box?
Would you eat them
with a fox?

Not in a box.
Not with a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not eat them here or there.
I would not eat them anywhere.
I would not eat green eggs and ham.

Would you? Could you?
in a car?
Eat them! Eat them!
Here they are.

I woould not ,
could not,
in a car

You may like them.
You will see.
You may like them
in a tree?
d not in a tree.
I would not, could not in a tree.
Not in a car! You let me be.

I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox
I do not like them in a house
I do mot like them with a mouse
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.

A train! A train!
A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?

Not on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!
I would not, could not, in a box.
I could not, would not, with a fox.
I will not eat them with a mouse
I will not eat them in a house.
I will not eat them here or there.
I will not eat them anywhere.

Say!
In the dark?
Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?

I would not, could not,
in the dark.

Would you, could you,
in the rain?

I would not, could not, in the rain.
Not in the dark. Not on a train,
Not in a car, Not in a tree.
I do not like them, Sebastian, you see.
Not in a house. Not in a box.
Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
I will not eat them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere!

You do not like
green eggs and ham?

I do not
like them,
Sebastian-I-am.

Could you, would you,
with a goat?

I would not,
could not.
with a goat!

Would you, could you,
on a boat?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not eat them in the rain.
I will not eat them on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I will not eat them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them ANYWHERE!

I do not like
green eggs
and ham!

I do not like them,
Sebastian-I-am.

You do not like them.
SO you say.
Try them! Try them!
And you may.
Try them and you may I say.

Sebastian!
If you will let me be,
I will try them.
You will see.

Say!
I like green eggs and ham!
I do!! I like them, Sebastian-I-am!
And I would eat them in a boat!
And I would eat them with a goat...
And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good so good you see!

So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!

I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you,
Sebastian-I-am

In the book currently it isn't Sebastian-I-am. It is Sam-I-am.

I read the book nightly for a few months.

Sebastian?!? I didn't notice that. Where the heck did that come from? It's always been Sam.

I've been making tamago every shift for almost a year now and I still overcook it from time to time. Better than flipping it onto the ground like when I first started though I suppose :lol2:.

I've been working on my classic French omlettes lately, a la the classic Pepin video: VIDEO

I've been getting them nice and runny/soft on the inside but can't quite get them to that soft pillow like and cut open oozy stage I see in all the Japanese omurice videos. Might be my pan choice as I refuse to use one of those non-stick teflon pans. Before that I didn't really like omelettes and it was always fried runny eggs in a steaming hot cast iron.

That poor pan.

My favorite easy go to is softboiling eggs to a custardy center, slice into 8ths, kosher salt, cracked black pepper and sesame oil.

Also huge fan of omurice where they slice it over the rice. Must be made with fried rice or red/tomato rice though.

Latest posts

Back