Micarta Handle Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YLQDave

Reaction score
I've had a few pocket knives with this type of handle. Ive recently seen it on a few Gyutos. Does anyone have any insight as to weather this is a good handle for a kitchen knife or no?
Thanks!

100% perfect, I don't have a gyuto but have a petty with micarta. Very durable and looks beautiful.

I recall that Ian uses Micarta in some handles and it always looks perfect for the knife.

Scroll thru Haburn sub-forum for some examples

Absolutely, no reason it wouldn't. All my outdoor knives handles are micarta of one kind or another. Takes a beating, waterproof, nicely textured,, and can be really beautiful.

It's a very durable material. Like others said it looks good too. Yaxell uses it a lot on their knives. I think some of JCK:s knives have it as handles too.

It is quite a heavy material though and can offset the knives balance.

Yaxell, HAttori, Butch Harner, HHH, Stephan(custom knife handle maker) Ian Roberts, itou ryu etc. Tons of guys use it, as mentioned its honestly a better handle material than wood, 100% food safe and if made properly can be visually stunning.

Too late for an edit so... Actually, I have two micarta handled knives. The other is a 210 Takeda suji and I can only call the handle superb! Feels great in the hand and resists just about everything. When it arrived, I spent the first night just holding it. Pathetic, I know.
Perhaps off-topic but the blade itself, the way it cuts, the balance and its looks would also fit that description.

Too late for an edit so... Actually, I have two micarta handled knives. The other is a 210 Takeda suji and I can only call the handle superb! Feels great in the hand and resists just about everything. When it arrived, I spent the first night just holding it. Pathetic, I know.
Perhaps off-topic but the blade itself, the way it cuts, the balance and its looks would also fit that description.

Thank you. Now on to tracking down a good one!

If you are looking for a stainless monosteel knife, look at the Hattori FH series, sold at Japanese Chef Knife. The knives were designed by a collaboration of members of KnifeForums, and made by Hattori. They have one of the best handle designs available.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/JCKHattoriForums.html#JCKFH

Those look really nice! Any idea how they perform?
I may get one if I can't find my dream knife, the Masamoto 210 Gyuto w/ the micarta handle.

I may get one if I can't find my dream knife, the Masamoto 210 Gyuto w/ the micarta handle.

a masamoto ks with a western micarta handle?

Performance is on par with similar stainless monosteel knives - Misono UX, Masamoto VG, Gesshin Ginga western, Suisin Inox western, Nenox.

Yep, very desired, resilient as well.... can´t go wrong..

At some poit I got a Konosuke HD micarta with a tactical fusion handle that was very fun to use!

Back