Genkai Masakuni/ Fudo Kuniyuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
I have seen the Fudo Kuniyuki blades that Takeshi had in stock a while back and I thought they looked lovely. Obviously extremely expensive.

Per the description on the site, They are made by Genkai Masakuni.

Does anyone have any experience with these or know about the maker? I can't find a great deal of info.

Blades supposedly made by his sensei are sold by a german vendor for near $1 per iron atom prices....

all I know is there's not that much info around about them, but every month or so I pull up the honyaki on aframes and drool all over my computer for a couple hours...

all I know is there's not that much info around about them, but every month or so I pull up the honyaki on aframes and drool all over my computer for a couple hours...

There must be someone on this great forum that knows something about this maker. I have high expectations given the price they have sold for.

Then again, expensive doesn't necessarily equate to great.

Laugh? Oh, I'd totally buy something like that from a vendor that does not bother to even describe it as a honyaki :)

Laugh? Oh, I'd totally buy something like that from a vendor that does not bother to even describe it as a honyaki :)

I wonder how they valued it at 30'000 euros. I think the site owner needs a new car

He makes the highest end blades for konosuke and james at kns. Maybe shot him an email. If I could custom order one I'd probably do it. The sun and moon hamons are the coolest in existence by far. Unfortunately 2k+ for a yanagi that I'd use 2 times a year is excessive

He makes the highest end blades for konosuke and james at kns. Maybe shot him an email. If I could custom order one I'd probably do it. The sun and moon hamons are the coolest in existence by far. Unfortunately 2k+ for a yanagi that I'd use 2 times a year is excessive

What is his background? How is it that he can command such a premium for his blades?

What is his background? How is it that he can command such a premium for his blades?

I guess... because there isn't exactly an overabundance of people who can create honyakis that have hamons that look like paintings... ;) And I'm guessing he's not exactly doing them 50 a day.

He was from Sakai, and basically making everything just like Sakai knives. For some reason he moved to Kyushu. He is still supplying knives to various Sakai knife houses.

He was from Sakai, and basically making everything just like Sakai knives. For some reason he moved to Kyushu. He is still supplying knives to various Sakai knife houses.

Aha! Will you be getting stock from him? I'd love a gyuto

I'd read on Aframes that his father/master (Heian Okishiba Masakuni) was the "pioneer in high end mizu-Honyaki". I was wondering if James had more info on that? It could be a better Hamon and the cool moon hamon, but maybe its something more.

I have pleaded with him to buy a Kurouchi gyuto and a single bevel mizu Honyaki gyuto but he quite simply doesn't sell direct unless you come to the forge. Anybody in Kyushu wanna hook a brother up?

I have pleaded with him to buy a Kurouchi gyuto and a single bevel mizu Honyaki gyuto but he quite simply doesn't sell direct unless you come to the forge. Anybody in Kyushu wanna hook a brother up?

Does he even do gyutos? I thought he only did single bevel

Yup. But very rarely. Some rough as guts which he said he'd sell to tourists and a stunning single bevel I saw recently

There are rumours that the sensei preferred water as a quenching medium for his blades but not his thirst?

Some say his sensei quenched his blades in the tears of dragons long gone.....

There are rumours that the sensei preferred water as a quenching medium for his blades but not his thirst?

He died of liver failure due to drinking. Worked to have enough money to drink. His wife would wait for him outside the Sakai wholesalers and take the money directly off him lest he drink it all and not have enough money for the upkeep of the home. He was crafty enough to withhold some in his socks.

He might not have cared a damn about selling knives if he hadn't needed the money, so who knows?

Back