Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nip And Tuck...

Nip And Tuck...

A friend of mine sent me his father's old carbon Sab in the off chance I could give it a little face lift. This is the progression...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original (800x600).jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reprofile_1.0 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	1863
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reprofile_1.1+bolster (800x600).jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	almost done.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	1865

You can probably see that some of the pitting is still there, some scuffs from coarse belts, etc and the f-ed up grind near the heel due to futzing around the the bloody bolster. Now that it's gone, I'll shave a little off that and fix the wavy grind. Other than that, you guys think I should make any other changes?

If you're wondering, there is no edge on it, but it cuts like a freaking laser. Slightly convex 50:50 grind but I had to remove a lot of metal to get rid of most of the pitting.

i wouldn't do much more to it. keep it as Sab as possible.

I'm supremely impressed... and cuts like a freaking laser is good to know. Kind of the point of the (tragically abused) thing -- good to know it still has some fight in it!

Looks good at this point. Unfortunately, you're giving me ideas I don't know if I can execute.

On some French knives you may find a flat part of about six centimeters from the heel, used for chopping, parallely to the board, with one hand near the tip and the other pinching lightly the upperside of the handle. Have you seen the remainings of such a flat part?

nice work mate, the only reason I would never buy a Sab is the damn bolster. I tried sharpening one once and the bolster pissed the hell out of me.

What's the point of the bolster? Can you just grind it down?

That looks great. I wouldn't change it any more then you did. Looks like you fixed it up nice!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    On some French knives you may find a flat part of about six centimeters from the heel, used for chopping, parallely to the board, with one hand near the tip and the other pinching lightly the upperside of the handle. Have you seen the remainings of such a flat part?
    I just got a new old stock Canadian Sabatier from the '50s, and it has that flat part. I thought it was mis-ground. Good to know.

ER: I've never seen or owned a new Sab so I wouldn't really know what a Sab is "supposed" to be. This knife is basically a completely reground knife. The handle has been ground down in every dimension, the bolster has been mostly cut off and the rest ground down and smoothed for a comfortable right-handed pinch grip. The spine and choil have been rounded. The profile is the result of my attempt at saving as much steel as possible with no consideration for the original design.
    Benuser: I have no idea if this knife was once that way. When I received it, the edge profile was severely overground both in front of the heel and behind the tip. I have no problem putting such a flat area in, if you think it would be a good idea though.
    wsfarrell: Are you saying you want to do some similar modifications? If so, I'd be happy to tell you how I did this. I'm not sure it was the best way but I'm pretty happy with the result.
    99: You can grind it down but it's a PITA without some good grinding tools, unless you grind some every time you sharpen which is still annoying. Most of the used bolstered knives I've seen have a big bolster protruding out of the profile. Fixing that gets old fast.