Another silly handle question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Can a wa knife be yo handled and can a yo handled knife be wa handled or are they built differently ?

Can a wa knife be yo handled and can a yo handled knife be wa handled or are they built differently ?

Yes, they are constructed differently, but as kaleeb has noted, a conversion can be done, but it is very labor intensive. A Western handled (yo-) knife usually must have the bolster removed and the tang ground down.

A wa-handled knife may be easily rehandled with a Western styled handle, as kaleeb has done here:

IMG_1248.jpg

It doesn't have a bolster, or a full tang, but captures the style well.

Yes, they are constructed differently, but as kaleeb has noted, a conversion can be done, but it is very labor intensive. A Western handled (yo-) knife usually must have the bolster removed and the tang ground down.

A wa-handled knife may be easily rehandled with a Western styled handle, as kaleeb has done here:

IMG_1248.jpg

It doesn't have a bolster, or a full tang, but captures the style well.

Nicely done! What species of wood did you utilize?

Mike, the wood is buckeye burl with a copper colored resin forced into the voids. The "ferrule" is a solid piece of copper resin.

Kalaeb, I've worked a good amount of Buckeye and have never seen a piece like that. Great choice for your handle and very nicely executed. Even though I'm partial to Adam style of fat handles I wouldn't mind on one my knives. :thumbsup:

Here is a very free interpretation, I see it almost like a hybrid with the wa ferrule but then it flares out considerably more than a wa handle.

Stefanhttp://imageshack.us

Back