Quantcast
Need Help with a Knife Set Suggestion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with a Knife Set Suggestion

Need Help with a Knife Set Suggestion

I have a friend who asked me to recommend some knives. Here's his email....

I need some help. Someone is asking me for some advice on knives. You are the guru, so here goes?

Need western handle.

Stainless.

240mm gyuto.
    Paring.
    Slicer.
    Utility.
    Maybe bread.

Don't need to be the same maker.

Need to be relatively affordable.

What do you suggest?

Any help you guys can provide me here will be appreciated, thanks!

The only knife I will seem to always recommend is Tojiro ITK bread. Can't say enough about it. I have had so many people use mind and ask me to order them one its crazy! Other people will have much more informed opinions on the other choices.

i tell you what, I just bought several sets of the Fujiwara FKm series for several of my old cooks whose restaurant burnt down and lost all their knives and was quite surprised by the fit and finish and the screaming sharp edge you can put on them, that I bought a set for myself. I have been using them for a month now and edge retention is great and the handle is more comfortable then my Hiromoto 240Hc and I love that thing. I bought the 240 gyuto $75.00, 270 suji $80.00 and a 150 petty $39.00 + $7 shipping and got it in 2 days from Japan. They are not fancy, but they work damn well and are extremely affordable. I got them from Koki at www.japanesechefsknife.com.

On the bread knife, I have a Shun and it is great. There is one on ebay now :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270828612377...84.m1423.l2649 and no I am not the seller etc

parer forschner victorinox, runs about 5 bucks, sharp, cheap, easily replacable

240 gyuto not fully SS, but the carbonext is really nice

Those are off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    ...Fujiwara FKm series ... and was quite surprised by the fit and finish and the screaming sharp edge you can put on them, ... They are not fancy, but they work damn well and are extremely affordable...
    +1 The only thing I don't agree with is the edge retention is just okay compared to other J-knives in my experience. The blade toughness differentiates it from the Tojiro which is more chippy. I do recommend Tojiro for people that can't live without large handles.

Fujiwara FKM utility
    Cheap vics parer
    Carbonext or Kon HD for the gyuto and slicer not totally stainless but hey you never know, you may get a guy interested.
    Tojiro bread knife

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    On the bread knife, I have a Shun and it is great. There is one on ebay now :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270828612377...84.m1423.l2649 and no I am not the seller etc
    Have that same one.
    Cool knife (a bit weighty) with a wonderful tactile feel to it...

A very good "buy it now price" too.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    +1 The only thing I don't agree with is the edge retention is just okay compared to other J-knives in my experience. The blade toughness differentiates it from the Tojiro which is more chippy. I do recommend Tojiro for people that can't live without large handles.
    no, I agree with you on the edge retention compared to my Hiro , but for the price range it really isn't bad.

So, what's the budget? As cheap as possible?

You want stainless? the best you can get is a full set of Misono UX10!

Seriously though....

I've gifted several of the Fujiwara FKM petty and gyuto, everybody thinks they are grand.

My faithful BUDGET stainless setup would be:

MAC paring

Fujiwara FKM 150 Petty

Fujiwara FKM 240 Gyuto

Hiro G3 Suji. Usually I would say 240mm for random folks, but somebody asking for a 240mm gyuto would prolly rather a 270m slicer.

Fibrox bread knife

If not for the western handle factor I would push for a Yoshihiro gyuto. Still not western, but what about Miyabi? On sale at sur la table right now.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***