absolute newbie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxmbs

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm an absolute newbie in matter of knifes...well, I can use one, cut and stuff but that's about it.
I started to be interested when I received some gifts, gifts that happened to be knifes. Short story.

Regards,
Sándor from Kolozsvár, or Cluj-Napoca in Romanian

Welcome to the forum Sandor. In some parts of the world it's customary to exchange a coin for a gifted knife. Is that practiced in Romania?

Welcome!

Hope you'll enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

Hi Sándor, welcome!
I started paying some more attention to knives, and to sharpen them myself, a while ago and it has been very rewarding. I'm looking forward to reading about your impressions. Have fun!

Hi daveb,

Well, I myself did not experienced it, but I heard something like that when one gives a knife as a gift, it is better to receive back in the same time a small twinge with that knife...to avoid bigger "problems" in the future :knife:

Welcome Sandor.

Which knives do you have? Which sharpening gear do you use?

Well, this is another thing for what I have found the forum :) I'm looking for some help to identify a Japanese knife that I received as a gift. Should I ask it here (post pics), or rather open a thread, or post it in one that I saw that it was created for the same request not long ago? I would avoid to shuffle up the thread...

You probably want to start a thread titled "Help with Knife ID" or something like that. There are several members on here that can read Kanji (I'm not one of them) and will help you out. But they may or may not follow this sub-forum. For quickest response put your request in the "Kitchen Knife" sub.

Welcome Sándor!

@daveb - heard about the coin for knife ritual from a few folk. Some even gift a knife with a coin attached. It can then be "given" to the person gifting the knife. According to some superstitions, if a coin is not exchanged, the friendship could be severed (or a finger if sharp enough!). My partner is Vietnamese and always insists that anyone receiving a knife from me must give me a coin in exchange.

Well, I'm at the beginning, I do made some reading about knifes, and now I'm looking around to acquire some sharpening stones. The goal is to get stones that can be used as a foundation for my actual (learn to sharpen) and future needs. I would like to avoid to buy something that isn't for a beginner. What You guys propose in this matter?

You might want to start a seperate thread for that to lay out your situation and options. Budget plays a big role. How you plan to use them factors in as well. Do you watn to be able to use them quickly (splash & go)? Do you have the room to permasoak them? Will you use them at home or at work.

Also, I'm afraid that you're somewhat limited in your options due to your location. A lot of the options that are popular here are difficult to acquire (affordably) outside of the United States. Unless you're welling to spend big to get them from abroad there are really just a few shops to go to.

Probably to start a separate thread is the best idea. Of course, budget is definitely an important aspect. And You pointed out just well, that around my location there are very limited options....non to zero to be more precise.

Back